Red maple as an ornamental?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StihlHead

OK, so I lost a liquidambar (sweetgum) tree last year growing among some Norway maples and liquidambar trees here on my property. I cut it down and it is now seasoned firewood waiting to burn. I got an oddball volunteer maple tree from my brother last year in a pot with an odd shaped leaf. I have since ID'd it as a red maple. I am thinking about planting it near where the liquidambar was. These are eastern trees that are grown here as ornamentals, but I am not familiar with them. I know they are not the best firewood, but I am not replanting for burning, just for landscaping. I read that they are toxic to horses, but the deer like eating it (and everything else). I have sized it up to about 8 feet now and it should survive the deer if I plant it this fall.

Anything good/bad I should know about them before planting?

Our red maple is up to about 15ft now. The good thing is they transplant well. Ours has been moved twice. Give it regular watering until the rains begin.

Reactions: StihlHead
We have them on the golf course, several actually. They make great ornamentals and the herds of deer populating the place don't seem to bother them, regardless of size.

We have some around our house. They have grown fast and we like them. Some will produced the "whirlybird" seeds prolifically. The seeds clog our gutters.

It sounds like the red maple will be an ideal candidate to plant here then. Thanks for the feedback.

Red maples grow well and reasonably fast too. Very pretty in the fall of the year. As for firewood, if you compare with oak then one might say it is poor but it can still make good firewood. You just won't get a long of a burn from it.

We have several with several limbs showing red on most of the leaf. Was coming back toward the house today and noticed one I had not seen yet. Really bright red with all the leaves on one limb. Yet the closer I got to it, the deep red seemed to look a lot lighter in color. Still pretty. We're seeing lots of birch with most of the leaves yellow already too.

Japanese Maples are beautiful trees, and ornamental.
My parents had on at our old house, and have several more at their new place.

I have 2. I would do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.