Red Max Chainsaws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
Anyone have any experience with these? I know Husky bought them and I've heard good things about the trimmers they make. There is a local dealer here that I would like to work with.

I'm only familiar with the smaller ones, but they are good saws for sure. Very smooth running, fantastic vibration control, and good power to weight ratios. I have the 3200EZ (not available in the US) and I love it. I've run the 3800 and would have one if only it had an adjustable oiler. Otherwise, a very good little saw that is reputed to take nicely to modding. My Dolmar 420 spanks it badly, but it is a higher displacement saw, so that's to be expected.

Their comparable model to the stihl 180 is a much nicer saw at a better price (shhhhhh, little known secret).

Did you have a model/size in mind?

My 50 CC 16" old girl is doing pretty good but she has a few years on her, so I was looking at least 50cc with a 18" or 20" bar. I forget the model number but it was on the upper end of the models I saw in a brochure.

I know you are asking about Red Max saws, but if it were me I'd steer away from them once you are into the 50cc class. There are better saws in that class that have been thoroughly field-tested, saws like the Dolmar 5105 or the Husky 346XP. You will never regret buying either one, and the 5105 is well under $500 in most areas. They are a powerful and professionally built saws that will last a very long time for firewood use.

If he's redmax, he can get husky in that range. Agree with battenkiller...... 346/353 with an 18" bar. You'll love it and likely never need to buy another saw

I will check about the Husky. I'd like to stick with him if possible.

Don't remember the MN now but a Redmax 50cc showed up at one of my GTGs and it seemed to hold its own against the competition. Only problem with getting the 5105 over a 510 is the P&C cost. I've owned several 5100s and they are good saws for sure but if you need a P&C get ready to take it in the shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.