Red Mulberry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
Looks similar to some Red Elm splits that it is in the stack with, with the light-colored sapwood, but it is heavier which I'd expect since it's a higher BTU wood. This wood is dry.
These Red Elm splits are barkless, but this scaly bark looks somewhat similar, though not real close.
Pic 1) Red Elm, bottom. What I think may be Mulberry, top.
2) End grain, Red Elm left. Thing I noticed here was more distinct rings in the sapwood of the Red Elm.
3) Red Elm, bottom. Mulberry, top.
4) Fresh-split "Mulberry."
5,6) Bark pics.

PXL_20221226_221123493.jpg PXL_20221226_221240809.jpg PXL_20221226_221055410.jpg PXL_20221226_221824815.jpg PXL_20221226_221357321.jpg PXL_20221226_221418894.jpg

Last edited:
That Mulberry must have been cut or dead for a while. Green Mulberry is usually yellow. Once cut and exposed to air it will turn brown quickly.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
It certainly resembles locust.

That Mulberry must have been cut or dead for a while. Green Mulberry is usually yellow. Once cut and exposed to air it will turn brown quickly.
Yep, been split for a couple years. Thinking more about it, it was a tree that fell across one of my stacks. It was alive, and I posted about it. Somebody that was pretty good on wood ID, maybe @CincyBurner, thought it was White Mulberry, an introduced Mulberry variety.
I had it stacked separately, but I went out and looked, and apparently had mixed it into the Cherry, BL stack that I'm pulling from now.
It certainly resembles locust.
The wood and endgrain does but the bark is more scaly, not as thick and deep as BL, which I've gotten quite a bit of around here (not on our property, though.)