Red Oak, Blue Fungus?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Vomit

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2011
eastern PA
District 2-20120828-00036.jpgDistrict 7 Urbana-20120828-00035.jpg I cut this red oak the other day and uncovered this branch. I dont recall ever seeing this color blue in the woods before. Im assuming its a mold, moss, fungus, of some type.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
The nouth facing end of my stack of red oak has all kinds of purdy colors, molds and fungus love red oak for some reason.

I have some white oak tops that I cut and stacked in the firepit stash and they have some mold that is fluorescent orange!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I cut some small red oak branches up for the pizza oven that was on the ground dead for a year. It had a brown mold/fungus on it. Well, I ended up getting a sinus infection cutting and moving that wood. If I cut that bluish branch, I would burn it outside or bring it right to the stove. I don't think I would want that wood puking mold spores into the house. ;sick

Reactions: Thistle
Check with your local forestry dept.
They may know what it is,
or might be a alien bacteria.
Either way be good to know what it is.

It is interesting all the different colors one can find in the woods. Even at my age, I'm finding new stuff all the time; not necessarily colors but most times when I go out to cut I discover new things. I still have several trees that I know not what they are. Some day I'll get some pictures and ask for help in identifying them.

Found the pics of mine - standing dead at least 6 years, probably more. We have really hard water, with lots of iron. Some of the lower rounds were punky inside, but most of blue upper wood was ok.

WP_001096-Copy.jpg

WP_001107.jpg

Attachments

• WP_001096.jpg
    WP_001096.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 176
Smurf's were there.

I think this is the correct answer . . . probably they were having one of their raucous parties and the drinking got out of hand and then the next thing you know one of them was puking all over the place.

Reactions: osagebow
Status
Not open for further replies.