red oak score this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
I was driving back from the airport the other day, and noticed a tree cut up next to the reservoir in town. It's about a mile from my house. I was going by at around 40 mph, and it looked like it might be red maple. It was about 10 feet from the shoreline, so that helped bolster the conclusion.

It's a busy street, so I didn't want to go for it until early Sunday morning. So, I got up at 6:00 and grabbed it all. Took me three loads in the Camry.

It was definitely red, but it wasn't maple!

IMAG0029.jpgIMAG0030.jpg

ah...i see what you mean.
got yourself some red oak!

I was driving back from the airport the other day, and noticed a tree cut up next to the reservoir in town. It's about a mile from my house. I was going by at around 40 mph, and it looked like it might be red maple. It was about 10 feet from the shoreline, so that helped bolster the conclusion.

It's a busy street, so I didn't want to go for it until early Sunday morning. So, I got up at 6:00 and grabbed it all. Took me three loads in the Camry.

Trunk or trailer? The former indicating pure dedication.

Excellent score.

Trunk and back seat. I just lay out tarps in the trunk, and on the back seat and backrest. Then there's not a lot of mess to clean up. A little dirt and sawdust gets through, but it's not too bad.

You fit right in here. Well there was some room yet in the front seat. LOL :)

Great score !

PS: I'll touch the subject first, 2 years + for red oak to season (starting when split & stacked ) ;

Reactions: Lewiston and ScotO
Nice score! Those BTU's were protected by airbags as you drove them home? Never thought about filling up the seats and "buckling" them in; you just gave me an idea for bringing home more wood. ;) Good job!

You are my kind of guy. I too used my camry plenty of times as a wood hauler.( can you say redneck?) About 2 years ago I bought a used harbor freight 4 by 8 trailer. I installed the hitch myself and now I have poors man pick up truck. If you can justify the cost, I higly recomend it. Works on trips to Home depot too.

Welcome to our humble abode.You'll fit in just fine here. Anyone who hauls wood home in whatever transportation they have - be it car,pickup,skateboard or bicycle - is OK in my book.>>

Reactions: ScotO and TimJ
Nice Job! I have a sub-compact to haul my scrounges in so I know what you go through! Maybe one day I'll get smart and but a truck!

Attachments

• 1211001511.jpg
    1211001511.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 122
Nice job with the Camry. I hauled a lot of wood in my Saturn SL2 sedan before it died (death was not due to wood hauling, as far as I can tell). Now I have a trailer on the SUV which hauls a lot more, but since I don't drive around all the time with the trailer, I still use my car sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.