red oak smells like cheese

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB

Jul 25, 2008
[email protected]
So I'm splitting up some red oak, and with a few sticks I get a strong odor. I can't put my finger on it initially, but after a while, I realize that it's a smell very similar to an aged gorgonzola or something. It's not at all unpleasant--I confess to sniffing it multiple times--though others might think it stinks. Anyone else encounter this, or know what might be the culprit? I assume that it's probably some kind of bacteria--the same that you'd find in a rindy cheese?

I've noted lotsa different odors coming from oak when cutting it, some good and most not so good. It normally smells like limburger to me.

I run a tree co. and some of the smells that come out of the tree when cut are just not nice. I have been accused of not eating right by the customer when I came to the door for a check, wet pants and smelling foul, it is good for a laugh or two.

One of my favorite smells is freshly split oak. My son and I always talk about the smell and what it smells like . We decided it has a sour mash smell much like Jack Daniels. Funny part is we dont drink!.

The red oak me and my fiance cut up the other day seems to smell like cow manure!!!!

south jersey red oak smells like cat piss :(

CodyWayne718 said:
The red oak me and my fiance cut up the other day seems to smell like cow manure!!!!

That's exactly how I describe it: cow manure.

Well, only some of the red oak I've cut smells this way, particularly pin oak logs with a type of disease.

The rest of the red oak smells wonderful, IMO. Like oak boards from the lumber yard.

I worked at a lumber wholesaler and had to stack dimensional red oak into bins.
Even though it was Kiln Dried,the lifts still smelled like cat piss. I always wondered
what it smelled like being burned.

Red oak does indeed smell like cheese. Only, not the tasty kinds like cheddar or mozzarella. I'm talking fromunda cheese. You know, the cheese fromunda your toenails. Stuff does burn well when seasoned, though. The oak, not the fromunda.

• Haha
Reactions: Graphite
slewfoot62 said:
One of my favorite smells is freshly split oak. My son and I always talk about the smell and what it smells like . We decided it has a sour mash smell much like Jack Daniels. Funny part is we dont drink!.
+1 - always wondered about the comments on red oak smell - I love the smell of fresh split red oak - not sure what I'd call it - seems like a unique smell - definitely doesn't smell like poop diapers (I have 3 wee ones), cat urine (had a few cats in my time), or vomit (been known to drink a fair amount!). Cheers!

Same piece of freshly split oak: I love it. She hates it.

Gark said:
I've noted lotsa different odors coming from oak when cutting it, some good and most not so good. It normally smells like limburger to me.
Anyone remember the 3 Stooges episode, Moe, Larry, Cheese, Hmmm Limburger. Awesome

I do not find the smell of oak offensive in the least. In fact, there are not many woods that I do not like the smell of. That hybrid poplar we chatted about recently does come to mind though as one of the foul smelling woods.

DaleZ said:
I always thought it smelled like ketchup.
I never thought it smelled like ketchup, but I always thought it smelled good enough to eat.
"Waiter, I'll have the Seasoned Oak with a side of Ash." :lol:

I think the Jack Daniels stuff is actually white oak, which is used for the barrels (all barrels really) to cure the whiskey.

Red oak does have a very strong odor, but I have to say that I've never been able to say it smells just like "X," whatever X may be. Every time I work some up, I try to pin down a firm answer, but I just can't seem to find anything that it really equates to in my mind. In fact, I split some this weekend, and I still can't truly decide. I guess I can only say that it definitively smells like...red oak. Helluva fuel when properly seasoned, though.

smells like money in the bank to me, which smells pretty darn good!

Reactions: ScotO
some times standing dead oak smells like pisswood

I always associate oak smell with wine. I kinda like oak smell. And oak works great in the smoker, adds a great aroma and flavor to pork, beef and venison.

Status
Not open for further replies.