Red oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmaho

Jan 15, 2014
Ma
I cut 2 trees down this weekend and cut into rounds. Basically I have nos room for them right now so I split in half and stacked on tree limbs in the woods. Will they start to season this way or should I split further? They are both red oak.

I cut 2 trees down this weekend and cut into rounds. Basically I have nos room for them right now so I split in half and stacked on tree limbs in the woods. Will they start to season this way or should I split further? They are both red oak.

I bet they'll season but that's the oddest setup I've heard of.

I misread at first, I thought you meant IN the tree. Not the limb on the ground.

They will dry more if split.

They are 15 in rounds cut in half and stacked till I get room to bring closer to the house.

Why not?
There's probably alot of wood cutters that do it that way in the winter.
Its progress right?
You are further along than some of us who are snuggled under a blanket by the woodstove. Lol.

If they are only split in half rather than quarters it will only season half fast.

Reactions: Soundchasm
They will season just not as fast. Why don't you just split them and stack them as you have until you're ready to move? they'll season faster an you wont have to unstack/move/split/stack again. I haven't got a good place for drying my wood yet, still trying to figure the best place. I have 3 cords around my property/in the woods that I'll leave there 'till seasoned.

Red oak doesn't fully season in the round. The rounds will lose some weight out there but they won't season.

Wouldn't hurt to throw a cover over those rounds. You may wish to check on 'em every few weeks or so, depending on how long you plan to store them in the woods. Watch for signs of punk around the outsides. If they start going punky, get 'em split & stacked ASAP.

I got some red oak rounds from my neighbor who stopped burning years ago. They sat stacked for 3 years. I split them and they were all over 35% on the moisture meter...they don't season well in round form.

I got some red oak rounds from my neighbor who stopped burning years ago. They sat stacked for 3 years. I split them and they were all over 35% on the moisture meter...they don't season well in round form.

I've been cutting dead standing red oak that's anywhere from 17%-27% depending on top/bottom of tree the last couple of years.
That's a long round.
Big rounds from the bottom of the tree (27%) dry out pretty quick after being split.

Went back,into the woods today to,split the red oak even further. After being out in the cold rain and snow it split with no problem. I could have just lifted the x27 over my head and dropped on round and it would,have popped,open. It was kind of fun.

Yeah, I would cut it smaller sooner than later, why waste this precious time....

I could have just lifted the x27 over my head and dropped on round and it would,have popped,open. It was kind of fun.

Splitting Red Oak can make you feel like Hercules!

Status
Not open for further replies.