Red Pine drying time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteNoob

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2013
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
I've got a huge windfall of red pine, here. It's the stuff the paper and utility companies plant. We call it jack pine, locally. Question is, what's the usual time needed to season this stuff, for one of the new EPA stoves? What I'm aiming for is next year, which will give me around 14-18 months, with more being cut, after the first of the year. Any ballpark figures on what I'm looking at, time wise? This will most likely be 100% of my wood supply, and should last a number of years. Should hold me until I can get enough hardwoods seasoned, properly.

Also anyone ever burn catalpa? I've got one, growing in my neighbor's yard, hanging precariously over my carport! !!!

A year should do fine. Two years even better. Never burned catalpa but someone else is likely to chime in on that one.

Reactions: aussiedog3
14-18 months should be plenty. Depending on your weather & wind conditions, 12 months may prove to be sufficient. Longer is always better in my book.

Watch that red pine. That stuff burns like gasoline.

Reactions: WriteNoob
I have a bunch. Split it and it is easily dry in a year. Cover it next summer. It seems to absorb water when it gets wet!

Jack pine is different then Red pine. Red pine has long needles and a distinct look. Jack pine has short needles.
1 year after split and stacked should be sufficient unless the splits are huge.

Jack pine is different then Red pine. Red pine has long needles and a distinct look. Jack pine has short needles.
1 year after slit and stacked should be sufficient unless the splits are huge.

Had a brain cramp, whilst posting, and couldn't remember the actual name. It's Scots Pine, that we have planted on all the various utility and paper land. A great deal of it gets bought up, when folks buy tracts for recreation, and whatnot. Most around here look at almost as a tree version of a weed, and would never dream of putting it into a stove. My buddy's got so much of it, just from his city lot, that he's willing to haul it all over to my place, for free. All he wants is some for camp fires.

Had a brain cramp, whilst posting, and couldn't remember the actual name. It's Scots Pine, that we have planted on all the various utility and paper land. A great deal of it gets bought up, when folks buy tracts for recreation, and whatnot. Most around here look at almost as a tree version of a weed, and would never dream of putting it into a stove. My buddy's got so much of it, just from his city lot, that he's willing to haul it all over to my place, for free. All he wants is some for camp fires.
Sounds like a good deal for you. Scott , Jack, Red ,White , makes me wonder how they all got their names.

Status
Not open for further replies.