Red pine vs white pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

holg

Feb 4, 2011
northern WI
I've been a hardwood snob for years, not burning any softwoods, despite being in a northern Wisconsin area where pines and firs far outnumber the oaks I can lay my hands on. After reading the forum, I tried burning some white pine in fall and spring, leaving the oak for the colder months. And although many on this forum knew it, I had to experience it for myself that properly dried white pine is a nice addition to the wood pile. Walking in the woods this weekend, I found where some towering red pines must have blown down last fall or this winter. The "woods" are state forest that is adjacent to my 1 acre lot, and I can get a permit to take what I want from the dead and down stuff. So the question is, is there much difference between red and white pine, either in the wood stove or in the way it dries out, once cut and stacked? Thanks.

I have both, I burn both, and I like red pine over white because it seems to burn cleaner and a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.