Red stuff floating in ceramic teapot on stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nojo

Dec 22, 2009
Western/cent Mass
This happend the other day. So last night I cleaned the ceramic teapot intensely. I filled it with "clean" town tap water. It was clear. After being on the stove all night it looked like this.

110027102827-IMG_3444.JPG-Windows-Picture-and-Fax-Viewer.jpg

A yummy video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MKEGONZlEg

This is a ceramic 2 cup pot. Has a stainless lid. Is this just Iron in the water clumping together?

Any ideas? This is my drinking water so...

Thanks,
Josh

My friend is having the same thing is a stainless pan. We are trying to figure it out.

Usually stuff like this was on the edge of the pot before you put the water in. Try scrubbing the pot out, especially on the sides and fill with water again. You could also try a light vinegar solution for washing it. If you still get junk, it is probably iron. If it turns whitish or a white/yellow and crystallizes then it is from lime.

Yup. Natural minerals and naturally present and harmless iorn oxide would be my guess. Or it could be clumps of the highly dangerous and usually fatal "Public Water Microbial Death Mites".(PWMDM)
Joe

Put in a pinch of delicious table salt to soften water before using. May also want to include a small splash (less than 1 teaspoon) of bleach. Between these two you'll have a lot less problems with scale clinging to things and it won't grow funk when it's lukewarm.

Kombucha? ;-)

BeGreen said:
Kombucha? ;-)

http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com/2008/06/imperial-sourdough-neo-kvass.html

There's been days in the homebrew side of my hobby spectrum where we play "Will we drink it?" Sometimes they're good. Most of the time - not so much.

A wood stove, weirdly enough, provides really good conditions for making soured beers and other spontainiously fermented stuff. The water gets boiled, it sits on top of something with a lot of air moving over it, the water can become tepid, and wood particulate carries wild yeast. In Sweden, Germany, etc they have "family beer sticks" which is a stirring device specifically and only used for beers made from unfinished wood. That wood soaks up all the delicious weirdness growing in each batch and cultures the next one.

I'm racking the beer tonight tiber. Can't wait to watch it in the carboy.

Typically iron will remain dissolved in water until it is oxidized. It will then form a particulate that can floc together and fall out of solution. The sticky iron buggers are what you see. Some iron removal systems are simply a tank with an air bubbler in it to oxidize those buggers out since in the bugger form a normal filter can catch them. Now if you get the iron eating bacteria you will have a sulfur smell. These bacteria seem to like hot water tanks so the hot water will reek of sulfur while the cold might be fine.

I have iron in my well water at a low enough concentration that cleaning fixtures is adequate. Is the OP's dishwasher orange inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.