1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Red tailed hawk

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by CodyWayne718, Nov 14, 2012.

1. CodyWayne718

CodyWayne718 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Seen this waddle across the road in front of my house and hunker down in some tall grass. Figured I'd go get some pics, turned out she had a messed up wing and couldn't fly. So I caught her and took her to a rehabilitation center in Louisville. They said she was born early this spring more than likely and that's why her tail isn't red yet. Hopefully they can get her better to be released again. All I had was my phone so bear with the quality.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Tramontana

Tramontana Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    Awesome job! Thanks for taking the time to help take care of her. Good karma points for you!

Cheers!
  3. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Good for you CodyWayne718, I had a red tailed hawk for an entire summer once. Let him go in the fall and he took off healthy and wild. Sometimes Mother Nature needs some help.;)

4. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Nice work!
  5. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner© Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Awesome. I have some red tail hawk pics too you just reminded me of. I'll dig em up and post in a different thread. I couldnt get so close to mine though, he had no problems with his wing or senses! lol But luckily I had enough zoom!
    ScotO and Eatonpcat like this.
  6. CodyWayne718

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Post em in here! I don't mind
  7. OhioBurner©

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Oh sorry I already created the other thread here http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/red-tailed-hawk-w-dinner.94635/

My favorite from the set I'll post below, though there is a little blood I just like the setting in the trees with a little touch of green and the blur effects.

[​IMG]

I love birds of prey, I've just never had any other luck getting nice shots other than this time.
    albert1029 likes this.
  8. CodyWayne718

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Beautiful! What's it got anyway?
  9. CodyWayne718

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Never mind! Opened the other thread lol
  10. ROVERT

ROVERT Member

This is a timely thread.

I got these shots on Tues. afternoon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    albert1029 likes this.
  11. CodyWayne718

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Y'all got me wanting a better camera. Only digital one we have is 8 megs, it Never gets used cause our phones are 8 megs too.
  12. OhioBurner©

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Rovert those a great shots... I've yet to catch a good bird on the wing shot, except for lowly seagulls at the beach.

Cody, mine was shot with an 8MP actually! I put a little post about it at the end of my other thread. In fact the predecessor of mine which was 6MP I think was one of the best compact digicams for quality. But now those generation of cameras ares tarting to show their age. I dont get too hung up on the MP numbers, is really about the rest of the camera. I just upgraded, but have yet to shoot much any wildlife with my new camera.
  13. ROVERT

ROVERT Member

Thanks, OB. I got lucky. The hawk was feeding fairly close to the road and when I stopped to take some pics it got nervous and flew giving me a chance at some in flight shots.

I agree about not getting hung up on mega pixels. Unless you are blowing up photos to a pretty large size, the other parts of the camera, especially the lenses are more important. I don't have any really decent glass for my DSLR... some day.