red worms?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vwboomer

Dec 5, 2008
wisconsin
I was splitting up some ash and willow that I bought last week. The guy cut it down this summer, and a fair bit of the willow is already getting punky on the big (20-30") rounds. After splitting one piece, it was full of what must be little red worms. No discernible features since they were so tiny, slightly thicker than a piece of thread and perhaps 1/4" long.

What are they? and the fact that the wood is rotting (or was rotting and thats why it fell) makes me wonder if it'll be burnable next winter.

No idea what the worms are, other than some sort of decomposition assistants... However if you split the wood and stack it, as it dries the worms will probably either vacate the premises, go dormant, or die - if they stick around, you'll learn that bugs have BTU's. :coolsmile:

It may be burnable next year, IF you can get it up off the ground, cut to stove length split and stacked... I'd also try to top cover it... Punky wood doesn't have as much heating value as solid stuff, but it all burns and puts out some heat - if I can get it in the stove, it burns... Punky stuff will actually dry faster than green solid wood, but it will also soak up moisture faster, so you have to keep it dry once it gets that way.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.