Redoing the crown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeypuck

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2009
south central NH
So as usual in an old house, the 3 hour job turns into a whole weekend.

I got up on the roof to figure out a cap scheme for my new insert. Unfortunately the oil burner flu is right next to the center chimney flue (bout 3/4 " spacing between the two flues). The current center fireplace flu has a damper at the top that is activated by a long wire down in the firebox area. I also noticed that there was significant cracks in the crown (about 2" of cement, some of it patch work). It took me 4 hours of careful chisel work to get it to a point to redo it. I was going to do it at 4 this afternoon, but I looked at the weather and we might have a hard freeze here tonight. I will do it tomorrow afternoon. No freeze tomorrow night or the near future.

I pulled off the 17 by 37" stainless chimney top before I did all this. Unfortunately it will not be tall enough to give me 5" of clearance between the top of the liner and the bottom of the chimney top. Looks like I will have to drop another 250 into a taller chimney top, unless anyone has another idea. It is currently a 8" high top. I will also put a divider of some sort between the two flues. I do not want oil burner exhaust coming down the chimney when the insert is not lit.

Still trying to decide if I should to the 5.5 or 6" liner. Flu will fit both, but sneaking it by the original fireplace damper might be tough with the 6".

I will post pics when I am done tomorrow. Have a good night, and I get the feeling alot of you will be lighting up tonight in the north east.

JOn

Hey, hockeypuck...

I pulled off the 17 by 37" stainless chimney top before I did all this. Unfortunately it will not be tall enough to give me 5" of clearance between the top of the liner and the bottom of the chimney top. Looks like I will have to drop another 250 into a taller chimney top, unless anyone has another idea. It is currently a 8" high top. I will also put a divider of some sort between the two flues. I do not want oil burner exhaust coming down the chimney when the insert is not lit.

Why not get a smaller version of the original cap - one that will cover two flues - & use the cap from the liner kit on the remaining one?
Gotta be less than $250...
OR, if you have enuff flue tile up there, build up the chimney crown so it's closer to the top of the flues...
That may give you the extra clearance...

<>Still trying to decide if I should to the 5.5 or 6" liner. Flu will fit both, but sneaking it by the original fireplace damper might be tough with the 6".<>

Well, I'd say either remove part of the damper frame to allow the 6" liner thru it, or simply ovalize the 6" liner in the area that needs it...
You can shape it round again after it's thru the damper.

I will order the 6". Probably do it today after I finish the crown.

Thanks for the reply.

Well the cement is partially cured and I caulked the space I left between the flue tiles and the cement.

You can see my dilemma now concerning the chimney top. I have to take of the damper and put the liner down that flu. My current top is only 8" high so I will have to buy a taller one in order to use the standard top for the liner and still have enough clearance between it and the chimney top.

What should I use to seal the cement? I did add an additive to the cement to improve the water shedding but still need to seal it.

Attachments

• IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 159
Could use some roofing tar and stone dust on top of the cement, or find someone with a little concrete floor epoxy left over and use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.