Reduce wood mantel mantle trim clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsiros

Nov 10, 2007
PA
I'd like to reduce my mantle clearances with something unobtrusive and attractive. I found some 3" copper cornice (crown) moulding that I am hoping would reduce my clearances if I attached it on an angle to the trim below the mantle (copper cornice starting on brick and angling up to meet/cover/shield wood trim below mantle). Does anyone have experience with doing something like this? Suggestions and recommendations please.

Also... could I use aluminum instead of copper? Aluminum trim is about 1/3rd of the cost but I'm not sure if it would be ok for this heat application.

i was thinking the same thing, my mantel is supposed to be 30" and its actually like 25".
Aluminum should be fine, just a decent gauge.. ie 26-28. but i like your copper idea better.
fyi shopping around me i think sears has better selection then the HDepot

Status
Not open for further replies.