Reduced Clearance to wall shield in WA?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephany

Jun 12, 2007
Hi All -

Me again, with another question!

We are buying the Avalon Arbor (the Lopi Leyden twin). In the manual it says "Clearances may be reduced by methods specified in NFPA 211, listed wall shields, pipe shields, or other means approved by local building or fire officials."

Does this mean that if I use a non-combustible wall sheild, I can place the stove closer to the wall? How much closer? The minimum clearance to combustibles is 14" to the back corner of the stove. BTW, this is in the state of Washington in Skagit county.

Thanks again for all your help!

Stephany

It's one of those catch-22 situations.

NFPA specs are usually used for stoves that do not have close clearance to begin with. Then you have the matter of dealing with the pipe clearances.

Yet, NFPA lists 12" as the minimum that any stove can be to the wall....well, not really - they have a formula you can use if you are a scientist or engineer! But the clearances given the chart refer to a "generic" stove that might be 36" as is before wall protection.

So, it basically comes down to using the the 14" unless you want to do some leg and planning work and deal with the pipe, etc. - Exception would be a specific case shown in the manual....or perhaps faxed from the factory techs.

See: https://www.hearth.com/content/images/uploads/nfpachart1.jpg

formula at bottom of page.....

Brier Steph said:
Hi All -

Me again, with another question!

We are buying the Avalon Arbor (the Lopi Leyden twin). In the manual it says "Clearances may be reduced by methods specified in NFPA 211, listed wall shields, pipe shields, or other means approved by local building or fire officials."

Does this mean that if I use a non-combustible wall sheild, I can place the stove closer to the wall? How much closer? The minimum clearance to combustibles is 14" to the back corner of the stove. BTW, this is in the state of Washington in Skagit county.

Thanks again for all your help!

Stephany

I'm in Kitsap County and I want to ask you where are you going to buy your stove from? I got mine from Alki stove and they even came out to see what the largest size stove (insert) I could put in our fireplace. They want to make the sell, let them do the work I say?

Salesmen will lie to make a sale. Sure there are excellent dealers such as every stinking one of them on this forum but there are dogs for sure and I would rather be informed when buying than depend on a potentially sleezy salesman. Most of my dealings with stove shops have been with me knowing more about the products than the staff thanks to this board and research on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.