Reduced Heat Output from Farily New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LAndrim

Jan 1, 2011
Outside of Philly
Have a 6 week old Lennox (Country) Canyon ST310. Big Bad Beast as we like to call it! Heat output is getting less, not better!

When we first got it, it REALLY cranked out the heat! Within a few hours, the first floor was at 70 degrees, now we're lucky if it gets to 65.

No changes in our habits.
1. Still burning the same seasoned wood
2. Still loading and reloading it the same.
3. Still letting a layer of ash build up and clean out once a week.

Lennox manual talks about a "breaking in period" when heat can be reduced until the stove burns off its excess moisture. I'm sure we are way past that break in; we're running it almost 24/7.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

Have you noticed a little more smoke coming out of the door when reloading? If you have a spark arrestor in your cap you might want to inspect it for clogging. I have had to clean mine twice this season, the second time I just took it out since I have a metal roof.

Second thing that I have seen this season is after our snow event last week my heat output is down due to the fact that my wood pile cover came off and my wood is slightly damp on the outside. Used to my stove wanted to run away on a hot reload, now not so much and it has to work to burn off the extra moisture.

If that flue probe and stove top thermo are still showing the same as before then that heat is getting away in the house somewhere.

HI Sixman and Brotherbart..thanks for the quick reply

1. Wood is dry and no smoke at door; spark arrestor? Not sure if I have one, and with all the snow on roof there is NO way I'm getting up there till spring! ;)
2. Yes, probes showing same temps as before

Nothing changed in the house to account for heat loss. I assumed that after the break in period, the heat output would get hotter, not cooler

Any other ideas? Thanks again!

The heat output has little to do with the age of the stove assuming it is in good working order. One thing you might check is to see if the baffle brick or insulating blanket above the burn tubes got bumped out of place during a wood loading. Another thing to try is to get some wood from another wood stack or part of the pile. Perhaps you are in a section of a lower heat species or sap wood?

But basically, if the stove temps are the same as before, then its output is about the same. But perhaps it is colder outdoors or something may have changed in the house? Check attic entrance seal, whole house fan cover, etc.

If the stove temps are the same the heat output is the same. Wind and drafts in the house are the usual culprits.

thanks guys....
nothing changed in house in terms of drafts etc.

We're in for 10 degrees tonight, so I can't check the baffle...will wait until the stove cools. We might hit 45 on Sunday! Yeaaah! Will look then. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.