Refilling hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJgirl

Oct 24, 2014
New Jersey
First time pellet stove owner (3 days). Was wondering if you can refill a Harmon Stove hopper while it is running, or will the stove automatically shut down? Also, could I get some advise on general cleaning schedule? I am burning Easy Heat Premium Pellets.

Yes you can absolutely refill the hopper while the stove is running. You can even open the firebox door.

As far as cleaning...
Every week or two includes cleaning the entire firebox, cleaning out the ignitor area, removing all carbon from burnpot, a brush of the exhaust fan blade while left on fan shaft, a quick brush with a 2" paintbrush down to the esp, cleaning of the glass, cleaning of the fines box

Every ton includes all of the above plus removing exhaust fan and wire brushing then spraying with liquid graphite and using anti-seize on the last screw to put it back on, cleaning of the exhaust piping with 4" linteater brush, empty the ash pan,

The yearly spring cleaning includes all of the above plus pulling the esp and running the 2" linteater brush with drill through exhaust passageway in stove, and removing the distribution fan and cleaning that.

I don't use a harman but my stove has an auger cutoff switch just under the hopper door. When the door is open, the auger is disabled so no pellets will feed into the stove during the refill. If you keep the hopper door open long enough, the fire will go out and the stove will shut down.

Yes same with Harman stoves. Refilling shouldn't take long enough to make the fire go out due to the auger being disabled.

unless you're a dope like I nearly was the other night .. I overfilled the hopper on my Lopi agp insert and the hopper door didn't close all the way I noticed after about 15 minutes that the flame was now a dull glow of embers, I figured out what was going on redistributed the pellets and the door closed all the way and the feed resumed

Status
Not open for further replies.