Refinishing a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sumpnz

May 16, 2011
Skagit County, WA
So, I'm looking at ways to cut down on costs for getting a wood stove. Usually I'm the first to think to buy used, but for this that took a while. Anyway, was looking on Craigslist and saw one or two that might work, if I could refinish it to make it not only look new but also prettier so my wife lets it in the house while still costing potentially a lot less than a new stove.

My question is, how feasible is it to strip and refinish most modern wood stoves? I know a guy with a sand blaster and welder (in case repairs are needed). He's also got auto paint equipment. I'd most likely paint a stove in some attractive enamel scheme rather that the typical matte black (this will keep SWMBO happy).

Not counting the beer for the guy with the tools, assuming this is feasible, what's a reasonable cost estimate for the project?

The cost will depend on the stove you choose. If its a steel stove that's in good shape inside it could cost as little as $20 and some time. Or it can be as much as $1,000 if its a cast iron stove that needs all its insides replaced.
You will have trouble finding finishes that will hold up to the temps a Woodstove will produce. Stove Bright paints hold up great and they have a nice selection of colors.

So, seems like repainting is doable. At least with the matte finish. Is it possible to DIY a glossy enamel? If not any sources for getting it done by a pro (hopefully for a reasonable price)?

My thinking here is SWMBO is not happy with the thought of matte, and is probably going to insist on glossy (or at least satin). So, whether I buy a cheaper new stove like an Englander 30, or a used stove of whatever brand, if a glossy finish can be done for a lot cheaper than the factory enamels all in I'd prefer to go that direction.

Satin Black from Stove Bright is the glossiest I've seen without going with a factory enamel finish.

The problems with all paints is that the gloss will not last on the stove. Just as a test i have used some stove bright gas vent paint which is really high gloss and put it on a stove. It looks great until the first fire than as the stove heated up the gloss disappeared and left the matt finish.

The problems with all paints is that the gloss will not last on the stove. Just as a test i have used some stove bright gas vent paint which is really high gloss and put it on a stove. It looks great until the first fire than as the stove heated up the gloss disappeared and left the matt finish.
Ya, the gas paint isn't rated high enough to withstand Woodstove temps. The satin high temp paint does fine, unless the stove is overfired.

Ya, the gas paint isn't rated high enough to withstand Woodstove temps. The satin high temp paint does fine, unless the stove is overfired.

Yeah, I don't imagine the gas paint would work very well with a woodstove. ;)

Auto-correct I assume?

Yeah, I don't imagine the gas paint would work very well with a woodstove. ;)

Auto-correct I assume?
No auto-correct. Stove Bright has paint thats only for gas appliances. It has a lower temp rating, therefore they offer enamels in this paint that's not available in high temp.

I used the gas paint on purpose to see if it would hold it's gloss, as it is something we get asked about quite a bit in our store. The paint it self was fine and stuck great, just the gloss disappeared as the stove heated up, leaving a matt finish. The colour also stayed true to the samples, and held up just as good as any high heat paint.

I used the gas paint on purpose to see if it would hold it's gloss, as it is something we get asked about quite a bit in our store. The paint it self was fine and stuck great, just the gloss disappeared as the stove heated up, leaving a matt finish. The colour also stayed true to the samples, and held up just as good as any high heat paint.
That's good to know. I have never tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.