refractory cement / mortar formula ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boblee

Dec 9, 2007
northern maine
Hi there would anybody have a recipe or formula for refractory cement or refractory mortar or fireclay motar or cement that they would like to share .
I see some of the Rutland stuff at our local hardware store but am wondering if its any good. I used a ready to use cement on my first Tempcast core but some of the joints came apart I'm not really impressed with that stuff . I've seen some boiler reliners using some sort of refractory cement in their boiler repair of fire bricks and the stuff seemed very tough , its been there several years and it hasn't cracked yet. I have know idea what its called . It was a dry mix in a bag.
Would anybody have any idea what it might be or know where to get it ?
Thanks Bob

boblee33 said:
I see some of the Rutland stuff at our local hardware store but am wondering if its any good. I used a ready to use cement on my first Tempcast core but some of the joints came apart I'm not really impressed with that stuff .
The Rutland is very good stuff, I suspect something else was to blame in the example you gave.

You might try looking up a good masonry supply place - one that carries firebricks and so forth, and see what they have to offer.

Another option if you want higher temp stuff might be to see if you can find a place that sells pottery making supplies such as kilns and so forth.

Gooserider

We own 2 kilns and have used Sairmix-7 for builds. Expensive but works well.

Edit: Kathy said to look at Fiberfrax Fiber Bonding Cement

Webmaster said:
Guessing that McMaster-Carr carries some of that stuff - not always the cheapest, but the quickest and most complete selection.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Craig,

We deal with M-C all the time, seldom does anyone beat their price. Great place also for glass gaskets.

High-Temperature Ceramic Adhesives - Page 3308

High-performance mica-based adhesives provide excellent electrical insulation and bond strength. Bond ceramics and some metals (including steel, iron, and lead). Use on diesel engines, exhaust systems, gas turbines, and ceramic tapes. Can also be used to coat furnace linings. Adhesives withstand temperatures from -300° to +2300° F. They resist oil, gasoline, acids, and alkalies. Begin to harden in 20 minutes; reach full strength in 24 hours at room temperature (1 hour at 250° F). Color is gray.
Size Each

Low Viscosity for Spray Gun
1-lb. ( 1/2 pt.) Can 7482A11 $38.08

Standard Viscosity for Brush
1-lb. ( 1/2 pt.) Can 7482A21 38.08

7-lb. ( 1/2 gal.) Can 7482A22 95.71

High Viscosity for Trowel
1-lb. ( 1/2 pt.) Can 7482A31 38.08

7-lb. ( 1/2 gal.) Can 7482A32 95.71

High-Temperature Ceramic Putty

This aluminum oxide-based ceramic putty adheres to all porous surfaces and can be used for thermal insulation on most materials. Withstands continuous temperatures up to 2300° F and resists molten metals and most chemicals. Can also be used for instant repairs to brick, mortar, burner blocks, insulation, furnace holders, and thermocouples. Begins to harden in 20 minutes; reaches full strength in 48 hours at room temperature (2-4 hours at 250° F). Color is off-white. The 11-oz. cartridge fits a standard caulk gun. Size Each

4-oz. Tube 7551A23 $12.40

11-oz. Cartridge 7551A24 21.35

1-gal. Container 7551A26 103.79

What a great store.

Status
Not open for further replies.