Refractory firebox with glass doors Vs. high efficiency models

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medic

Aug 8, 2011
NY
Hi all,

I have an ordinary wood burning fireplace (Majestic designer series MPL11) which has a full refractory firebox and glass doors and am I'm trying to decide whether to replace it with a high efficiency fireplace.

I've heard traditional fireplaces are less efficient than high efficiency fireplaces (such as the Napoleon 3000).

I know high efficiency designs are >75% efficient, but does anyone know the efficiency of a refractory firebox design with glass doors?

Thanks.

p.s. 38 locust trees uprooted by Irene, I have wood for life!

medic said:
Hi all,

I have an ordinary wood burning fireplace (Majestic designer series MPL11) which has a full refractory firebox and glass doors and am I'm trying to decide whether to replace it with a high efficiency fireplace.

I've heard traditional fireplaces are less efficient than high efficiency fireplaces (such as the Napoleon 3000).

I know high efficiency designs are >75% efficient, but does anyone know the efficiency of a refractory firebox design with glass doors?

Thanks.

p.s. 38 locust trees uprooted by Irene, I have wood for life!

I dont know what your efficiencies are. We would have to know more about your installation etc.. (pics, need pics).

It's quite a project to rip out the old ZC out and replace it with a new one. For example the least expensive EPA 2.5 cu ft on the market will cost you about $2,500. That's the cheap part. Now you have to rip the old one out, maybe replace the chimney (provide more info on your chimney) and then refinish the front of the fireplace. If you are lucky this project will cost you about $5,000. If money is no object, well then you're looking at $10K + depending on what you are after.

If you are on a budget you may want to look at putting an insert inside your ZC. But we need more info from you to offer suggestions. The more the better.

Edit: OK scratch that. I just checked the specs for Majestic http://majesticproducts.com/family/Fireplaces/Non-Catalytic/Designer-Series/ It doesnt list efficiencies. But looks like you have a Peninsula unit my friend which severely restricts you options. You cant put an insert in there. I only know of one MFG that makes an EPA certified double sided ZC wood fireplace (dont remember who of the top of my head) but it's not a peninsula. Any one can jump in and correct me but if that is what you have I dont think there is much you can do.

Hi FyreBug,

Thanks for your reply. I got the model number wrong. The Majestic I have is and SR42, just a square box insert with glass doors at the front (nothing fancy like see through or peninsula).
I do understand it's going to cost 5-10 grand to change it and that's why I'm trying to find out the difference in efficiency. As I have all the wood I'll ever need I could just load it up 4 times a day and keep it going to limit my oil heating bill but that will only work if the Majestic generates substantial heat into the room.

I contacted Majestic and they said they have no efficiency data for my model. If anyone has good experiences of heating a room with an ordinary fireplace + glass doors I'd be tempted to stick with it this winter and hope for the best. That might be a bad idea though as the style of fireplace may just suck all the warm room air through the glass doors and end up raising my oil bill.....

Hope to hear back from folks that can help me with my decision.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.