Refractory-Mass natural-draft assumptons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

I have seen some banter about what the GW 'should' or 'should not' do and at what temps. But these seem to be observations from observing only one setup (the posters').

The aquastat generally comes set at 180 °F with a +/- 10 °F differential.

I do NOT believe that the GW 'should' go beyond 190'ish set this way. The damper closes at 190 and with no fire, the heat subsides.

I do NOT believe we can say how fast the heat 'should' subside. This will depend on HX efficiency and heat demand.

I know from personal experience that overloading the GW with 'dry' wood on a warm day will sometimes cause the GW to exceed the 10 °F differential.

While I am not proud of not having a dumpzone, I can tell you I have never had one. I have 'boiled over' twice. . . both times the electricity had gone out.

I do NOT believe that the GW should be going into a 'dump zone' except under extraordinary circumstances (ie, power outage).

Though the GW manual does not call for it, I have had good sucess varying the aquastat setting and the fuel load (quantity/quality) based on anticipated heat load.

Just my two cents. Again, since no two setups are exactly the same my observations may not be exactly right for anyone else.

Jimbo

i think your right whats right for one setup might not work for another. ive set up three seton style boilers and not one run the same, but they all work good.

Status
Not open for further replies.