Refrigerator for water storage.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philwill93

Jan 26, 2008
Near Rome Georgia
Hey guys I have found a comercial stainless steel refrigerator.
I measured it and looks like it will hold close to 400 gal.
So, so you think this a good start on water storage.

I'll have to find out the details, but the best part is he has 2
and there free if I want them.

Phil

Forgive for asking are those things water tight ? Also is the insulation and lining water tight and / or able to handle the heat ? What about the door opening ?

I might be wrong, but I think leaddog has something like that for storage.

also Eric, How close can I put an EKO to the house and still be safe?
I was thinking of attaching an extended roof off the house for EKO
and a storage tank near DHW tank and most plumbing.

Phil

I don't think there's any safety issue with putting a gasifier like the EKO in an attached shed or other enclosure. As long as your chimney meets code, I think that's a good way to go.

Eric Johnson said:
I might be wrong, but I think leaddog has something like that for storage.

My tank is made out of walk in freezer panels so they arent quite the same but you will have a head start on insulation. Make sure they are reinforced and strong as there is a lot of force when it is full on water.
The best part is if they are free they are worth at least $.80 a lb for scrap and that isn't chicken feed. If they don't work out you will have some seed money to do something else.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.