Refurbish 2000 vc defiant or buy new Drolet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2016
Addison mi
Hello
I have an older circa 2000 vc Defiant that was overfired last year and needs about $850 in parts. I was considering buying a new Drolet ht2000 for $1100. I loved that Defiant but the inside needs complete rebuild. It seems to make sense to buy a less expensive stove new even though I love that top loading feature.
Any suggestions?

I would not spend the money to repair the VC. Is it a non-cat?

The Defiant wins in a beauty contest, but over the next say 10 yrs the Drolet will need much less maintenance. The Drolet HT2000 is a serious heater. That is going to be the better investment.

Well it's gone 15 seasons and now needs work. That's not terrible really. I mean what if you spend the money and it goes another 15? Catalytic and non-cat. Defiants are actually far more rugged than Encores and Acclaims, I find. Might be a good choice to repair. Don't forget to include the cost of installation and possibly removal of the old stove in the equation.

Well it's gone 15 seasons and now needs work. That's not terrible really. I mean what if you spend the money and it goes another 15? Catalytic and non-cat. Defiants are actually far more rugged than Encores and Acclaims, I find. Might be a good choice to repair. Don't forget to include the cost of installation and possibly removal of the old stove in the equation.
It also most likely needed rebuilt for the last 5 or 6 years...

Ditch the VC

Really? Hope it works out better than your last one.

You 'defied' conventional wisdom. ;) How come the thermostat didn't prevent the over-fire of your last one?

Decided to buy a new Defiant

I'm glad you got that stove, Mich! I'm looking forward to detailed operation reports...and lots of pics. ==c Flexburn, thermostat, top-loader, and a gorgeous stove to boot...there's a lot to like there! The combustion system is re-designed from what I've read, and is supposed to hold up better than past versions. Keep us updated. I'd love to see VC generate some good press and regain some of their former luster. :cool: I need to take another look at the VC owners thread for some Defiant Flexburn reports...

Status
Not open for further replies.