Refurbish Woodstock Fireview?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I found an add for a Woodstock Fireview woodstove. The add says:

Beautiful 15 yr old stove needs minor rebuild to replace stove cement on inside corners and needs catalytic combustor. 50,000 BTU's, 440lbs, Ht: 28", width: 26", depth: 20", flue size: 6".

Price is $300.

The stove is black.

Good price? Rebuildable based on the description? What to lookout for? Is this stove to old? How can I tell if it is overfired? Are parts available? Not being the original owner, would Woodstock work with me on refurbishing this stove?

What do you think? Should I jump on it?

Thanks!
Bill

leeave96 said:
I found an add for a Woodstock Fireview woodstove. The add says:

Beautiful 15 yr old stove needs minor rebuild to replace stove cement on inside corners and needs catalytic combustor. 50,000 BTU's, 440lbs, Ht: 28", width: 26", depth: 20", flue size: 6".

Price is $300.

The stove is black.

Good price? Rebuildable based on the description? What to lookout for? Is this stove to old? How can I tell if it is overfired? Are parts available? Not being the original owner, would Woodstock work with me on refurbishing this stove?

What do you think? Should I jump on it?

Thanks!
Bill

For over-firing I usually play dumb and ask how do you measure the temperature of the stove. If they answer with "it's not needed, if it feels too hot you just adjust the controls" I usually walk away right there. If the answer with "we had a magnet thermometer attached to the stove" I'll move forward with setting up a time to look at the stove. Other than that, look for cracked soapstone, and warped/discolored cast iron.

As far as the rebuild question is concerned, I can't help you. My neighbor has an older non-cat Fireview that he has had for nearly 20 years. He's never rebuilt it and it looks and operates like it's brand new.

If the stove is in decent-good shape $300 is a good price. That's a big 'if', though.

Id be all over that if the discription is acurate, new gaskets, new stove cement, new combustor, ya got a new stove. check for cracks, inspect the inside by lifting the top off for indications of overfiring. Talk it down saying it might be more than you want to tackle, put two hundred in your pocket, and one hundred in the truck you should be good to go. Woodstock will help you out with any part that ya need.

sauer said:
Woodstock will help you out with any part that ya need.

That's right, I forgot about that. Woodstock's customer service is top notch.

You should just call woodstock and ask them what they think. 800 866 4344.

I agree with Steve. Call Woodstock.

Replacing gaskets is a snap. Redoing the cement is pretty fiddly (think caulking gun in a confined space) but it's not impossible (did it last season with our nearly 19 yr. old Fireview). The fine folk at Woodstock will be delighted to help you with any questions you may have! New catalytic combustors are readily available and reasonably priced. We have replaced it about every 5 yrs.; clean it regularly and burn seasoned firewood (don't burn painted wood!) and they last a long time.

I've touched up the "black" on the cast parts once (needs it again) but I've never tried to buff out the scratches on the top. Maybe this summer.

Woodstocks are fabulous stoves. I'd probably jump on it... doesn't sound like the seller knows what he has!

It looks like the stove is a Fireview 201. I called Woodstock and they said it was similar to the Classic model.

The owner is replacing it with gas logs; they have the manual too. Don't know if they are the original owners. They said no cracks on the stone or cast iron.

I will put-up another post for the 201 with quesitons.

Thanks!
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.