Refurbishing Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jandjmathis

Sep 7, 2011
Wahington
Hey all, for the last 4-5 weeks I've been tearing apart an older Quadra-Fire - Santa Fe pellet stove that I've had for about a year from Craigslist. Works like a champ, it's just aged and the previous owner let water drip on it, so it has lost of rust everywhere. I'm cleaning every single part of this pellet stove, and am repainting the entire thing.

Just a quick rundown on what I've done. This is my first time doing this, so it's been a learning experience to say the least. At first I thought "Sand Blasting will make quick work out of this!". Little did I know that sand blasting would make quick work out of my patience. So after fighting through a few pieces with a sand blaster (and a few valves later) I decided to try something different. Got some paint remover from O'Reily's and that worked beautifully on the paint. However it did nothing for the rust. So I went back to the drawing board and decided to try Electrolysis...and let me tell you the Angels did sing. Not only did it get rid of the rust completely, it also softened the paint, so that I could use a random orbit sander to make quick work out of the rest.

Now that I'm on a roll with cleaning, I'm starting to think about the painting. I'm planning on using StoveBright, and as I was thinking I had a few questions. What should I paint, and what shouldn't I paint? Anything external to the firebox is obvious, but I'm also cleaning inside the firebox. Would it be bad to paint in there, and/or should I paint in there? Also, what about around the door, where the door shuts? Any special considerations there? I want to do this right so that it will last many years to come without any need for me to take it apart again.

I'm also working on getting replacement Gaskets for everything as part of this major maintenance. Just curious on what you guys consider 'signs' of the gaskets needing replacements?

I'll probably have more questions soon. Thanks!

If you are going to replace the gaskets, then I say paint it all (Not the Motors and etc in the back of the unit). I repainted the inside of my Firebox for the 1st time this year. Didnt take me long. I used Rutlands High Temp stove paint.

The only other thing I would do, if you have not already. Is because you have it outside (I hope), I would blast every nook and cranny from the Firebox the Combustion Blower. Take the Blower off (New Gasket needed for this also) and use an air compressor with a nozzle. Also make sure you unhook the vacuum line from the switch, so you dont damage it. I would then clean the Convection blower and check the auger. My Quad has no Oil Ports on the Motors (Factory motors dont/I bought an aftermarket Combustion blower that does), but I still drop some 3-in-1 (Blue Bottle/SAE 20 for electric motors) on the bearings where they are visible. Some oil does get sucked in. Some people do this, some dont. I figure it cant hurt.

Or read this https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75103/ My Spring Cleaning thread.

Attachments

• A fresh start.jpg
    A fresh start.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 728
  • Almost Looks New Again.jpg
    Almost Looks New Again.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 716
  • Almost There.jpg
    Almost There.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 712
Thanks for the reply! It's good to see examples of someone else work. I'm working out in my shop, it's got a big garage door on it so I have plenty of ventilation. I'm going piece by piece to make sure there is no rust. Even replacing some of the screws. I've found all the gaskets except for the feed motor. Part # 240-0731. Any idea's on that?

Great tips on oiling the motors, I hadn't thought of that. Can you link the after market blower you got?

Thanks again! I'm now much more confident in where I'm going with this.

Jared

Well, the gasket comes with that one, but it's not just the Gasket by itself. Well, this gasket I have looks to be in pretty good condition, so I wont worry too much about it. Thanks!

JaredM said:
Well, the gasket comes with that one, but it's not just the Gasket by itself. Well, this gasket I have looks to be in pretty good condition, so I wont worry too much about it. Thanks!

Forum member Eric at Kinsman stoves is a Quad dealer....maybe give him a shout by PM ("kinsman stoves"), or call him and see if he can get the gasket....he's a great guy! 330-448-0300

And he gives discounts to forum members.

Thanks for the reference! I'll contact him about my paint problem too. Spray cans are nice, but too dang expensive for how many cans I'd need to do my entire stove. So I'm trying to get the brush-on, but very few people sell it. I have my own HVLP, and I've found 1 pint at a local store.

So here's my next question, is it StoveBright or bust? Meaning, is it the best stuff out there, or will the High-Heat Rust Oleum from Home Depot be just fine?

Thanks!

I have used Rutlands Stove Paint and Rustoleums. The Englander of my Fathers and mine (both 25-PDV's) I painted with Rustoleum. They turned out great. I did paint the inside of both them, Dads has not been ran since paint and mine has only been ran a few times. Any inside paint will not last long. It is a very harsh environment inside the stove. As for the outside, it will be fine (either brand). The color varies slightly between brands. The Rustoleum has a real "Dusty" finish. Its a Very Matte finish that seems to lay out a lot of over spray. Rutlands is a little brighter and less over spray.

I have also heard a lot of good things about Stove Bright. Can't really comment because I personally have never used it.

I re-painted my Quad this year (inside) and do not expect it to last a couple weeks.

None of this may have answered your question. Will post pics a little later. So you can see the difference in the "Matte" and "Shiny" paints.

You can see the Rutland on the inside of my Quad (pic also above). Its a shiny, but still dull finish.

The Rustoleum is a Matte/Dull finish that seems kinda "Powdery"..

My Englander and pics of my Fathers. Both are bad pics. But its an idea. You can see there is not as much "Sheen" as the paint on the Quad.

Attachments

• Almost Looks New Again.jpg
    Almost Looks New Again.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 465
  • Dads 25-PDV (painted 2).jpg
    Dads 25-PDV (painted 2).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 467
  • Dads 25-Pdv (Painted).jpg
    Dads 25-Pdv (Painted).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 484
  • Ye Old Englander.jpg
    Ye Old Englander.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 495
Hey all, thanks a lot for the help! We've started painting the stove with Stove Bright. My brother in law was able to talk to his paint vendor and get a gallon of it, and we're using the HVLP to apply it. It looks amazing! It's just a major pain the butt to keep the rust off of it. I live in Washington, and the air is pretty humid. Rusts at the drop of a hat.

I've talked with Eric at Kinsmenstoves and he's been able to help me out. :) So now I'm just rounding up some loose ends, like screws. A lot of the old screws have rust on them. Will any old sheet metal screw from Home Depot do? Or will these need to be special for heat? Thanks!

Jared

P.S. - You wouldn't believe what I found inside the slots at the top, the gaps above the pipes that blow the heat. Something like 10 greeting cards and papers with drawings LOL This was a Craigslist special, so I guess their kids thought it was a mail slot. ROFL

JaredM said:
Hey all, thanks a lot for the help! We've started painting the stove with Stove Bright. My brother in law was able to talk to his paint vendor and get a gallon of it, and we're using the HVLP to apply it. It looks amazing! It's just a major pain the butt to keep the rust off of it. I live in Washington, and the air is pretty humid. Rusts at the drop of a hat.

I've talked with Eric at Kinsmenstoves and he's been able to help me out. :) So now I'm just rounding up some loose ends, like screws. A lot of the old screws have rust on them. Will any old sheet metal screw from Home Depot do? Or will these need to be special for heat? Thanks!

Jared

P.S. - You wouldn't believe what I found inside the slots at the top, the gaps above the pipes that blow the heat. Something like 10 greeting cards and papers with drawings LOL This was a Craigslist special, so I guess their kids thought it was a mail slot. ROFL
Glad you talked to Eric at Kinsman....great guy!

As far as the sheet metal screws, pretty much anything that is the right size and does the job will do....Lowes or HD should be fine.

Too funny about the greeting cards.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.