Q&A Regarding wall mounted heat shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Regarding wall mounted heat shields - I have browsed your questions for a while and find nothing regarding my questionsorry if I missed it. I have long wondered whether or not using multiple heat shields is more effective in reducing clearance percentages than a single shield. For example If I install a sheet-metal shield spaced 1 in. from the back wall, and then placed another of the same or different material spaced one in. out from the first, would this effectively reduce the heat transfer by any amount that would make it worthwhile?

Answer:

Actually, it would. The older NFPA and other standards used to show this method. However, there is a problem....the stove pipe also has to be certain distances away from the wall. Additionally, many (most) newer stoves have built-in heat shields and reduced clearances even without materials on the wall. As a result, simply doubling up the wall heat shields often cannot save more than a few inches...which is why it is rare to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.