Regardless of temp-should no visible smoke usually mean little creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
First serious burning with my new epa insert and find that the temp gauge on the top is only accurate some of the time(see post in the gear forum).. Anyway, after the secondaries have finished, I go outside and see no smoke. Often as long as 2 hours after the secondary burn has stopped I still see no smoke, but tonnes of heat. Tapped and smacked the gauge and got it in even sync with the oven test, and often when it only reads 300-still no smoke.

So my question for those of you who have burning the epa stoves and inserts for some years is--Can one assume that if you don`t see smoke, you are not accumulating much creosote? Specially when in this case, the glass seems to stay nice and clean.. Just thinking that no dirty glass means burning hot enough and clean enough?

This insert is not a "cat"..

By the time the secondary light show is over most of the creosote making nasties are covering your neighbors car. :coolgrin: The moisture has already cooked out of that softwood so their isn't much left to cool the pipe or condense inside of it.

Besides, what is new? Your sig always said "no visible smoke" with that poor old rode hard and put away wet insert you posted a pic of in the other thread. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
By the time the secondary light show is over most of the creosote making nasties are covering your neighbors car. :coolgrin: The moisture has already cooked out of that softwood so their isn't much left to cool the pipe or condense inside of it.

Besides, what is new? Your sig always said "no visible smoke" with that poor old rode hard and put away wet insert you posted a pic of in the other thread. :lol:

Yep, cept thing is still throwing lots of heat when there is no flame, secondary or otherwise. Sometimes, it is still warm on the top after last being loaded at 11 at nite and next morning at 8 am. And ya, BB that is with softwood. Douglas Fir. :)

author="sonnyinbc" date="1224395279"] tonnes

How many what's are in a tonne?...i'm from Michigan so it's not racist ;-P

woodconvert said:

"220, 221 . . .whatever it takes".

woodconvert said:

Ya, ya, I probably got that spelling from the Frenchie junk that we always have to read on our cereal boxes in this country. Lordy, it tickes me off when you pick up something to look at the ingredients and the french side always seems to be the first thing you see. Okay, okay==ton..

Can`t wait till some of you get the food and other stuff in dual=spanish and english, and lo and behold, the store clerks always face the language you can`t read facing towards the front. Oh boy, you are just gonna love it :coolsmirk:

woodconvert said:
How many what's are in a tonne?

I'm not sure, except it looks like there are two n's. Rick

sonnyinbc said:
...Can`t wait till some of you get the food and other stuff in dual=spanish and english...

Wait no longer, Canuck...everything we buy, from chainsaws to appliances to windows, comes with booklets that either read in one language one way and another language upside down from the other way, or we get a book of about 100 pages that contains 4 pages in English and 96 pages of the same information in 24 other languages. Rick

fossil said:
sonnyinbc said:
...Can`t wait till some of you get the food and other stuff in dual=spanish and english...

Wait no longer, Canuck...everything we buy, from chainsaws to appliances to windows, comes with booklets that either read in one language one way and another language upside down from the other way, or we get a book of about 100 pages that contains 4 pages in English and 96 pages of the same information in 24 other languages. Rick

Hey Rick: we will soon find out if Brother Bart is following this thread? Today I had to go in search of a new cigarette rolling machine--Crap! It cost me $30cdn and was made in Germany, and I had to really look hard to find any directions in English.And what I found was very minimal. Oh well, BB is a smart guy, he will figure it out--if and when he has to buy a new one of those contracptions :gulp:

sonnyinbc said:
woodconvert said:

Ya, ya, I probably got that spelling from the Frenchie junk that we always have to read on our cereal boxes in this country. Lordy, it tickes me off when you pick up something to look at the ingredients and the french side always seems to be the first thing you see. Okay, okay==ton..

Can`t wait till some of you get the food and other stuff in dual=spanish and english, and lo and behold, the store clerks always face the language you can`t read facing towards the front. Oh boy, you are just gonna love it :coolsmirk:

Wulllllllll...."there's always time for Tim Horton's" :p
Just havin' some intraborder chops bustin'.

You'll only know how much creosote and where it collects when you stop and inspect it in a few months. Last year I had more creosote but the winter was longer and I had to burn some less than seasoned wood in my EPA approved stove.

I can't go to an ATM or call a 800 (Free Phone) number without picking English or Spanish. Doesn't work for me.

On no smoke, I posted a related question today, but no takers so I'll run part of it by here, seems to be experts signed up, including you Sonny...

I fired up my QUadrafire 4100I Instert for the first time last night, and did it again tonight. This is my first EPA stove and so there were new things to look for. First I did see the secondary burn, a dance of fire below the secondary air tubs at the top, this went on for a while and at that time I was burning some blow-down twigs, that snap but have zero seasoning...but are small and I figured they'd make good kindling. Anyway, after a while and after putting in some larger hardwood that was about two years old I looked again for the secondary burn and couldn't see any...assumed that real dry wood wasn't putting out any combustible products. Right? Seems that's what I read above.

Then, going outside, in the dark with a flash light, I can see smoke, or is it just vapor condensing in the cold air? Should I see no visible smoke if the insert if operating properly? I can check during daylight, may be that is the only way, as soon as it gets cold enough here in NJ to need heat during the day, well I do use my heat pump some during the day, but I don't crank up the wood fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.