regency 2400 or 3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herman

Aug 26, 2007
i'm building a new house and am currently looking for a new stove to heat it with,the house will be 30x30,with r27walls,r50 ceiling and lowEwindows,it will be a post beam open concept, the stove will be in the basement near the stairwell which extends completely to the second floor which is at this point entirely open concept with "cathedral" ceilings,the chimney will be an outside selkirk style, i have a similiar home now which i heat with a decaro wonderstove,it wooks well but is not available in a epa model at this time,i have narrowed my choices down to the regency 2400 or 3100, i want to load my wood front to back, the 2400 is deeper but not as wide as the 3100, i tend to feel that the 2400 is all i will need and it seems to get great reviews,but i dont want to end up with to small of a stove ,the 2400 is 77% efficient and the 3100 is 71%,the 3100 has a longer burn time and bigger fire box ,what do you folks think?

Welcome ns. First off, kudos for designing the home with superior insulation. Where will the home be located? Sounds like northern Canada, by the design.

What are the heat loss calculations showing for the house? What is the primary heating system and what size is it?

Although the insulation is great, why put the stack on the exterior in a new construction? Will it at least be enclosed in an insulated exterior chase? If you want the best design, install in on the interior, straight up, preferably in the center of the home. Second issue may be with the basement installation. How large will the stairwell be? Is it centrally located? Will it always be open (no doors). Will the basement be fully, exterior insulated?

get the biggest one you can get! i bought a pe super 27, wish i bought the summit!! can always build a smalller fire

Too big a stove in a super-insulated house can be a PITA. Better to size it correctly to the heat loss and climate.

I have a hampton which is the 2400 with a fancy face as an insert. In Wisconsin in a 50s ranch with 1/2 new windows the 2400 does a great job heating all 1400 square feet. Personally if it were me I would go to the 3100 just for the extra cu ft in the stove, longer between fills. The 2400 will give you 9 hours if you pack it full of oak...the 3100, a guess would be 10-11 hrs? Either stove is nice. You can burn it cooler and not risk gumming up the chimney if its a little big. If you are in a warmer climate...go with the 2400. Good luck.

the stairwell is roughly 8x8 ,the basement is fully insulated and the house is in nova scotia,it rarely gets below -25c and is most often in the -15 for the winter months, the 2400 is rated at 75000 btus and the 3100 is rated at 80000 ,that doesnt seem to be alot of difference,plus the 2400 is 6% more efficient

primary heat will be electric baseboard,the reason i want the chimney outside is that i dont want to have to close it in the house and eventually plan to build a rock chimney inside as the budget allows,and the stairwell is almost in the center of the house,

Again, congratulations for insulating well. How exposed will the house be to the prevailing winter winds? If it is reasonably sheltered, this should be relatively easy to heat. I'm curious how they are getting R27 in the walls, what will be the insulation?

If the intent is to enclose it with masonry, really think hard about keeping it in the interior of the home. You will get a much better performing stove and a lot less stack cleaning.

As to stove size, I think either will work. I'd also look at the Pacific Energy Spectrum if available in your area.

the house has no shelter,it is on the top of a hill with no tree cover,the house is 2x6 with 6inches of bat insulation and 1.5 board insulation on the exterior sheathing under the siding,the board is rated at r10 and r7.5 depending on who you believe

I would get the 3100 for the longer burn times. The price difference is minimal. I wanted the 3100 but it was just too tight of a fit. But I am being reassured that my 2400 will heat my 2200 sq ft 50's ranch just fine. Will find out this winter.

we purchased the 3100 with the airmate,what sort of tips do you have for loading the logs in east/west,
all my previous stoves were able to be loaded north/south and i found they burnt better and it was easier to stuff them full,

Get a PE Summit, load her North to South, and the whole neighborhood will be covered :)
Seriously, N-S burn for me works best, easier to pack at night for long burns, no rollers, and as Roospike pointed out a while back, you can burn in a cigar effect helping to prolong the burn times.

Your north/south orientation...is that front to back?

I agree, my hampton can take a larger load (perceived) front to back. I think the air inlet seems to do better as well. If the secondary burn is kicking in it is just a fireball anyway! Good luck to all.

The Lennox CANYON is a superb heater and will do your home nicely

nswoodstove said:
i'm building a new house and am currently looking for a new stove to heat it with,the house will be 30x30,with r27walls,r50 ceiling and lowEwindows,it will be a post beam open concept, the stove will be in the basement near the stairwell which extends completely to the second floor which is at this point entirely open concept with "cathedral" ceilings,the chimney will be an outside selkirk style, i have a similiar home now which i heat with a decaro wonderstove,it wooks well but is not available in a epa model at this time,i have narrowed my choices down to the regency 2400 or 3100, i want to load my wood front to back, the 2400 is deeper but not as wide as the 3100, i tend to feel that the 2400 is all i will need and it seems to get great reviews,but i dont want to end up with to small of a stove ,the 2400 is 77% efficient and the 3100 is 71%,the 3100 has a longer burn time and bigger fire box ,what do you folks think?

Good stove indeed, but 8" flue and serious overkill for this climate and an 1800 sq ft. super-insulated house.

nswoodstove, did you get a stove yet?

I haven't posted in awhile but have been reading periodically. The regency 2400 is a good choice. It really does a great job and can throw the heat. We have a cape style, 2 by 6 construction, well insulated., approx. 2200 sq ft. I cut my oil consumption from 1000 gal. to 500 gal. per year by burning when we are home. Good Luck with your choice.

I originally looked to get the I2400, but stepped up to the I3100. The price difference was about $200. But, the larger firebox on the I3100 sold me. I don't have to be as careful on the lengths I cut my firewood. North/South just fits 18" lengths. East/West fits about 21" to 22" in lengths depending on size. (Also, a Regency dealer is only 30 minutes from me.)

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.