Regency 3100 temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ulyjones

Nov 24, 2014
Connecticut
Hello all.

I have a new Regency 3100 stove this year. I am not new to wood burning, just new to this stove. I have a question about temps. I burned a cord of wood in it and thought I had it dialed in. I would load it up, the temp would get to about 500 on the top of the stove (right in front of the pipe), then I would turn it down about half way. The temp would drop to about 400. Before bed I would turn it down to about an inch open. There would not be much flame at all but it would burn all night and wake up to coals and a 300 degree stove.

I just started a new cord today and it must be a heck of a lot dryer. I load it up and let it get a good flame. It climbs to 500 pretty quick. I turn it down to half but the temp just keeps climbing. So I turn it down to about a quarter. Still an aggressive flame but the temp stabilizes at about 550. Then after about 15 minutes the temp shoots up to about 600. I turn the air down to about a quarter of an inch (almost all the way off) but it does not affect the burn at all. It just continues burning between 550 and 600. After about a half hour it finally starts to slowly drop in temp.

Is this normal. How hot is too hot for this stove? I have read that some people run it at 800. For the last ten years or so I have heated my house with a plain box stove. No baffles, just a cast iron box with a hole in the back where the pipe comes out. 500 degrees would be really hot for that stove and if I cut the air it would react almost immediately. A stove with secondary burn is new for me. Just trying to learn to control this beast. The owners manual doesn't talk at all about safe running temps. What temps are other people running this stove at?

Thanks for any insight.

Greetings. It sounds like the previous wood was not fully seasoned. With dry wood the temps that you are seeing sound pretty normal. 600-650F is pretty common for a stove top temp in a steel stove with a full load of dry wood. If you want it cooler, you can try closing the air down sooner. Try at 400F for the first step.

Reactions: Cory S
Ive got an F2400, the little brother to your stove. Regency doesn't spec maximum temps, they just say not to turn the stove top red. I routinely have mine up to 700-750 without the top turning red.

Status
Not open for further replies.