Regency 5100 stove pipe questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsheehan56

Dec 20, 2012
South Shore, Massachusetts
Heya,

Just got a new Regency 5100.

It was installed 2 weeks ago in our basement.

The basement has a center chimney stack with 8" flue.
The stove pipe from the stove top to the chimney stack starts with a 45 degree elbow immediately on top of the stove to reach up and over to the chimney stack which is offset from the stove center position. The pipe then rises for 42 inches at a 45 degree angle before it terminates into the chimney stack by way of a 90 degree elbow.

The stove has been running fine, but in reading the manual I see two problems.

#1 In the manual it states the stove pipe should rise 36 inches before using any elbow.
#2 The manual also states that double-wall stove pipe must be used.
I contacted the dealer and the dealer agrees double wall should have been used.
The dealer said they contacted Regency and that they stated the 45 degree elbow on top of the stove is fine and satisfies the 36" rise requirement before any elbow.
If we were to change to a straight run vertical and then 90 degree over to the stack and then another 90 degree to turn into the stack, then we'd only have 34 inches rise.
Sounds fishy to me.
Thoughts from the salty wood stove folks here would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Here's a picture of how it is currently installed.

regency5100.jpg

I see nothing wrong with the way you ran the pipe. Our stove starts out with a 45 deg offset off the flue collar. It works well. If the mfg says use a double wall connector I would do it. Blaze King makes the same recommendation because of the lower flue gas temps on these stoves.

As the heating season gets going I'd love to hear your impressions of that big bad stove. It is a beast of a heater. In particular I will be interested to hear how long it burns while putting out meaningful heat and how long you go between reloads with a bellyful of fuel.

yeah i would definately leave the 45's the way it is. If you were to go straight up and over the stove would actually run slower than it does now due to the horizontal run.

Not ideal, but far from horrible. Just not a conventional install. Looking forward to reports on performance and burn times. JB
EDIT- If I re-read the post correctly, you're currently using single wall flue pipe. Am I correct?
If so, plan on changing out the single for double wall, it will help.JB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.