Regency Block Off Plate - Leaky Joints? (Pictures...)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokeless

Oct 20, 2008
Northeast CT
I have a new Regency I2400 installed (by the stove shop) in July.

Been burning when it's cold out. Still early, I know. Today's 63 degrees out and my windows are open!

But anyway, I haven’t been too impressed with the heat I can get out of this thing. Even with a load full of BioBricks and the stove top temp at 550F 'ish... When the weather is 0 degrees outside I would like to be able to keep my 1400sf ranch in the low 70's. Right now with a 30 degree mild night, my house is in the low 70's...

I've read about the block off plates. I took off my surround to take a look at possibly putting in my own (the stove store claimed they never heard of one, and that I'm all set because the chimney "cap is sealed at the top").

Anyway, to me, the connection from the stove to the SS liner does not look sealed. If I put in a block off plate, the joint between stove and liner could leak smoke/fumes and back up into the fireplace and into the living room. I' sure if that was the case I would have built up enough smoke to fill a chimney as well, so maybe it's not leaking? Also where the elbow clamps onto the liner, it looks like smoke could leak out there as well.

I don't know, but I'm sure someone here knows...

Would these connections need to be sealed?

THANKS!

Here's the look see:

1.JPG

2.JPG

Is it an outside chimney?

Yes it is.

I'm afraid if I seal the firebox in with the block off plate, any leaks will build up and end up in the living space.

Thanks!

I dont think it will leak, maybe try running it with the surround off so you can watch for leaks. I think a block off plate would be a good idea in your case with the outseide chimney. I dont believe your dealer didnt know what a block off plate was. They were probably playing dumb.

Put the block off plate in, and seal around the liner at the stove outlet with furnace cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.