Regency Blowing Fuse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eboucher

Dec 4, 2011
SoNH
My Regency started blowing fuses after Sandy came blowing through. I'm pretty sure I hab a surge or a spike. Anyway... when I replace the fuse and I start the stove the blowers come on and the auger motor turnes once and then the fuse blows.

I've replaced the auger motor and I am still getting the same result. I was reading in the manual that came with the stove and it says that the high limit temp switch might need to be reset. There appears the be a small button on the back of the switch but I can not push on it.
2012-11-25 09.00.09.jpg
You can see in the image the red button protruding from the middle of the switch. Do I try and do anything with that? Can anyone tell me what the startup process is when I press the power button? What starts first, second , third? Any help would be appreciated.
I've had the dealer come in and tell me that the borad needs to be replaced but I've never known an issue that a control board blows a fuse. If I can avoid the 350.00 dollar board replacement I do that.

If the high limit is not tripped it will not let you reset. If its letting the auger feed its not tripped in other words. Combustion blower would start first. Then the Auger and right after is the igniter. I'd disconnect the igniter(Isolate the feed wires away from the chassis) and see if will continue.

If the high limit is not tripped it will not let you reset. If its letting the auger feed its not tripped in other words. Combustion blower would start first. Then the Auger and right after is the igniter. I'd disconnect the igniter(Isolate the feed wires away from the chassis) and see if will continue.

Great suggestion! Sometimes when Napoleon NPS-40 ignitors go bad they trip the circuit breaker in the house that the stove is plugged into!

If you blow a fuse it is a bad thing, period. Do not just put in a new one and try again. One component in the system or a wire harness is bad. First start with a three prong grounded plug and the connection on the stove is in good shape. Breckwell had a run of bad grounds on their stoves a few years ago. The star washer was install at the wrong side so it did no good and caused the ground to fail and would blow the fuse. After locating a few of these units with close serial numbers I knew the issue.

Eric

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
So I just disconnected the ignitor and the stove is running. My next question is can i light my pellets with starter gel to get the stove going until I replace the ignitor and can I buy you guys a beer?

Reactions: oldmountvernon
I am leaning toward a ground issue. Confirm it is a three prong grounded wall outlet and not a fake or broken ground. Then check the power cord of the unit to make sure is is grounded. A meter will help both checks.

Eric

Did I hear "FREE BEER"?

So I just disconnected the ignitor and the stove is running. My next question is can i light my pellets with starter gel to get the stove going until I replace the ignitor and can I buy you guys a beer?
Yes, to starting it with the gel..

Yes gel or propane torch should get it burning until you can get a new igniter. Keep the stove in high/low setting so it doesn't go out once the stat is satisfied. It will just go to the minimum burn to keep it lite.

Status
Not open for further replies.