Regency Classic™ I3100 L insert Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aberzins

Mar 7, 2010
East Coast of Canada
Hey Folks,

I just bought a used I3100l wood burning insert that is about 11 years old for $300 Can.

It is replacing a old & inefficient Kingsman Hearth heater - so I have high hopes, as my house is fairly open concept and i'm tired of all the heat escaping via my flue gases.

my questions,

1. How or where does the insert get the air that is being sent thru the secondary air tubes located at the top of the firebox? Since there is only 1 lever that controls the draft, I'm confused??

2. Also, the insert will be run thru my stainless liner, that is installed into my 15 ft brick chimney\ clay flu. To connect my insert to my stainless liner, I have a few choices - 1. a flexible stainless liner 2. An elbow and then a straight pipe to the liner. Any ideas? If I run a elbow and straight pipe should it be stainless?

3. Finally, if I want to measure the flu gas temp exiting the stove, can I insert a thermocouple and use a pyrometer to measure the temp? Or is there an easier way?

thanks

Aivars

Firstly if the 3100 is in any sort of decent shape that's a steal of a deal you got there!

1. Yup there is only one air control on these stoves. Most non-catalytic stoves work the same. Cool air for combustion comes in on the bottom is run all the sides of the stoves where it heats up and then is brought into the stove at the front, bottom, and in the air tubes where it is mixed with the unspent gases creating a secondary burn.
http://www.regency-fire.com/Buyer-s-Guide/FAQ-s/Wood-FAQ-s.aspx
FAQ-noncatalytic.jpg
The insert is the same process and the air control is still in the same place but you'll notice two air intakes on the sides of the two blower ports. (In contrast to the combustion air on the side of the stove, the blower air goes under then around the back and out the top.)

IMG-20130922-00013.jpg IMG-20130922-00014.jpg

2. I can't speak if this is best practice but because of the clearance with the stone hearth I have an expandable off-set box. It adds another step when you are sweeping out but it does have a clean out in the front. (pre-cleaned pic)

IMG-20130916-00197.jpg

Sorry don't have anything for #3 I've just measured the stove temp with one of those cheap magnet meters, and an infrared thermometer.

Attachments

• FAQ-noncatalytic.jpg
    FAQ-noncatalytic.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 3,605
  • IMG-20130922-00013.jpg
    IMG-20130922-00013.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG-20130922-00014.jpg
    IMG-20130922-00014.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 270
Secondary air rarely has any control on it. The air control on most stove only controls the primary air.

Flexible or elbow with rigid lining to tie into the existing s.s. lining should also be s.s.
Either way if fine.
I would have used an elbow and with rigid all the way up on mine, but would have been too much a pain in the arse if even possible.
I ended up with 5' of s.s. flex through the old smoke chamber up to the first old flue tile area, then double wall rigid all the way up for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.