Regency F5100 - Can it bring the heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBrad

Oct 24, 2015
Buffalo, ny
I've been researching wood stoves to install in an unheated outbuilding, a carriage house that I use as a rec room. The building is 25x40 with open ceiling ranging from 14' to 21'. It is completely uninsulated and that isn't going to change in the short term. I currently use a 75k BTU propane bullet heater to warm it up on occasion which is more than up to the task.

I suspect most people would suggest a large non-cat stove for my space, but I think I'll often want to do low and long which has be thinking about a large cat stove, possibly supplemented with a permanently installed propane heater. Due to the fact that I have a dealer close by, I've been looking at the Regency 5100.

When I spoke to the dealer, he suggested the Regency 3100 instead, pointing out that it had a higher square footage rating than the 5100. He suggested that the 3100 could pump out a little more heat where the 5100 was optimized for long run times. Will I be sacrificing heat output if I go with the 5100? The two stoves I've considered at are the Blaze King and the 5100. Are there other big stoves that I should be looking at?

wow 17500 cu feet of uninsulated space in buffalo you are going to need allot of btus. I think i would consider a big old stove until you insulate it then get a cat stove But that is just me it seems like a waste to spend the money on a big cat stove when you are going to be running it hard most of the time.

wow 17500 cu feet of uninsulated space in buffalo you are going to need allot of btus. I think i would consider a big old stove until you insulate it then get a cat stove But that is just me it seems like a waste to spend the money on a big cat stove when you are going to be running it hard most of the time.

I'm not trying to turn this into a 24/7 365 day a year living area. I just want to increase the number of usable days.

The reason I'm thinking about a cat stove is that I expect a lot of my usage will be in the late fall / early spring with outside temps in the 40's and 50's. If I want to heat to 70 degrees from 40 degrees, I expect that will take about 30K BTUs which is not unreasonable. If I'm heating on a 20 degree day, then we're talking over 50k BTUs and running it hard. Much colder than that and I probably won't use the space.

The problem with insulating it is the ceiling and walls are 100 year old hand sawn hickory which I don't want to cover up.

I think your btu estimates are pretty low honestly but i could definitely be wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.