Regency Fireplace Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colesy

Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Just wanted to say hi to everyone, this is my first post.

We moved into our current house about 3 years ago and it has a nice Regency Wood Burning Fireplace. The previous home owners purchased it in 1991, and I the manual says the model number is R0. Here is a picture.

fireplace.jpg

It was our first house with a fireplace so we really didn't know what to expect. After 3 years worth of fires, and talkng with friends and co-workers with newer fireplaces and wood stoves I have came to realize my fireplace doesn't burn very efficiently and there is quite a bit of air getting in. I have to start a new fire every day because there is basically ash waiting for me in the morning even after loading it right up before going to bed. So I did the usual things replacing the door and window gasket which didn't seem to help.

Eventually I realized that even with the biggest door gasket installed there was still a noticable gap along the top of the door when closed. So I got my level out and checked the front of the fireplace where the top of the door closes into.

dip.jpg

I don't know how hard it is to notice the gap in this picture, but I took another picture with the level a bit higher up that if flat for reference.

reference.jpg

I have sort of remedied this issue by adding adding a second peice of gasket along the top of the door.

Also, while I was taking a look at things I noticed a small hair line crack by the top hinge.

crack.jpg

I went in and talked to a nice guy at a local shop that told me he would do anything he could to try and fix the issues with my fireplace as it was a pretty expensive unit in its time. He suggested welding the crack, grinding it down, welding it again, grinding and painting to fix that. As far as the dip in the face all he could think of would be to cut it out and weld in a new peice.

If this is what I have to do I am lucky in that my dad welds for a living so he would be able to do it if it's possible. I just don't know if it's my only options?

As far as warranty goes this fireplace came with a 25 year limited warranty which would cover these issues, except that it's not transferable which means I am out of luck.

If anyone has any questions or ideas for me please post..

There should be a Regency person lurking around here somewhere. Bump

After you added the extra gasket, did you perform the "dollar bill" test?
What result did you get? Are you sealed?
As far as the crack goes, I'd drill thru the end of that crack with a drill
that's just a little big bigger in diameter than that crack is wide
& then "goob" (technical term!) the hole & crack with
furnace cement as a temporary fix, until you get the welder in there.
As far as cutting & replacing the distorted surface at the top of the door,
I'd go for it if your Dad thinks he can bench the weld spatter good enough
to get you the original seal. Not sure of the exact alloy steel plate used in
the original manufacture, but it's probably 1018...Not too high Carbon content,
good weldability...

I just did the dollar bill test all the way around the door and there are a few spots that were a little loose. The top was pretty much perfect except one part.. I will get another peice of gasket and try to build t up more in those places.

Just thought I would post a pic of the morning after of the firebox.. Not much left in there.

afterburn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.