Regency GCi60 help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meat99

Oct 9, 2016
Hello. We had a regency gci60 installed today and are having an annoying issue. The stove on manual mode won't heat past 1 (or some piddly low setting with barely a fkame). When I raise the heat setting it just stays where it is. at start-up (or if i restart) the flame is big for about 10 minutes, but then it dies back down. We don't have a thermostat installed and at this point are just trying to operate it on manual.

Thanks... Any ideas?
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
On some stoves, such as mine, the thermostat terminals must be jumped together if no thermostat is used. See if that is mentioned in your manual. It sounds like your stove is staying in "idle mode" because it senses no need for heat in the room (no thermostat calling for heat, or a jumper).

Reactions: meat99
Thanks. I don't see anything calling for that in the manual. But I actually had a similar thought! What stove do you have?

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Who did the install. That's a big miss by them if that's what it is. It doesn't sound like installer hung around too long either to educate you on the stove csuse if he did he would have picked up on this with the stove dropping to low fire. You should have gotten a little Baggie with the stove. In the Baggie is a tube of anti seize for the stirrer rod,some cable ties and it should have your jumper wire in there too. If not then make up one of these and you should be good to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 150
Thanks. I don't see anything calling for that in the manual. But I actually had a similar thought! What stove do you have?

See my sig line...

I have the same stove. That's what it'll do when the stove thinks it's reached the set temp on the thermostat. The other setting is if the thermostat doesn't call for heat after 30 minutes, it'll start shutting down. Make sure you have the switch in manual mode. It shouldn't be effected by t-stat settings in that mode of operation.

Cust svc said to check the contact of the" ribbon" wire beneath but wouldn't tell me how to get to it "for safety reasons" sweet.

Ribbon connects mother board and control panel. It's on the right side behind the surround and you can't miss it.A poor install where this ribbon is not zipped tied away can lead to problems, where you need to replace the ribbon and zip it to the frame. This is a known problem. Not sure if this is the problem in this case though.

I have to say this is just one of the myriad problems this stove is prone to. There are many moving parts and many wear parts. It will break. Nothing will be impossible but it will be a learning curve. Hopefully the first rounds of break downs happen while under warranty.

Strange... The link you sent is for a gc60, mine is the insert (gci60). In my manual there is no reference of a jumper wire like that. Can anyone confirm the insert gets a jumper too?

I saw that,I do not know.The stoves use different controllers,I think.Corkman seems to know them,shows a picture of a premade jumper.Try it,nothing to lose.Jumping them will be the same as having a thermostat,and it is "on",calling for heat,will not damage anything.

I saw that,I do not know.The stoves use different controllers,I think.Corkman seems to know them,shows a picture of a premade jumper.Try it,nothing to lose.Jumping them will be the same as having a thermostat,and it is "on",calling for heat,will not damage anything.
Ok.. Now i just need to find where this is.

The jumper block should be on the board

Might just be easier to get a thermostat and install. Is this a new or used stove? If new, the dealer did a lousy job on the install which should include a run through on operation. Call them if that is the case...

I had the vistaflame vf55 freestanding stove and my Tstat terminals were at rear of stove.i no longer have that stove but it looked something like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 163
Interesting on the jumper.

A little back story....

When our GCI60 was installed, the installer clipped the connectors and lightly twisted the t-stat wires to the red wires coming off the back of the stove and secured with electrical tape. I have no idea why. Let's just say, they did not hold together when the stove was slid into place. So, when I hooked up the t-stat, it did not work. However, the stove worked just fine on manual mode. I'm stumped as to why yours isn't. Granted, my stove is 3 years old now, but I wouldn't think they would make that type of change?

Interesting on the jumper.

A little back story....

When our GCI60 was installed, the installer clipped the connectors and lightly twisted the t-stat wires to the red wires coming off the back of the stove and secured with electrical tape. I have no idea why. Let's just say, they did not hold together when the stove was slid into place. So, when I hooked up the t-stat, it did not work. However, the stove worked just fine on manual mode. I'm stumped as to why yours isn't. Granted, my stove is 3 years old now, but I wouldn't think they would make that type of change?
This is a three-year-old gci60 as well

Might just be easier to get a thermostat and install. Is this a new or used stove? If new, the dealer did a lousy job on the install which should include a run through on operation. Call them if that is the case...
Used. Dealer installed it.

Where is your installer thru all this

Status
Not open for further replies.