Regency GF55 - Feed Trim??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormPanic

Oct 16, 2012
Merrimack Valley, MA
So my stove allows me to set the feed rate time from 1-5. Problem is I don't know which is the fastest and which is the slowest. I assume that 1 is the slowest but the manual doesn't really say. All is says is the following. Any idea? I don't have a mag gauge to set the damper so I have it wide open with the combustion air trim maxed (5/5) and the feed trim on 1/5. Stove has been running good this winter but just wondering if I need to tinker with things...

FEED RATE TRIM BUTTON:
Used to change the feed rate trims in ¼ second increments for all
feed settings. When this button is pressed, all the light will light up on
the Heat Output Indicator except for the one that shows the current
setting; the default setting is the number 4 light. To adjust the setting
hold the Feed Rate Trim button down and press the Heat Level up or
down buttons to adjust the setting.

Attachments

• gf55.jpg
    gf55.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,146
I assume that 1 is the slowest but the manual doesn't really say.​
You are correct. I have the Enviro M55 and it is the same setup. I would, however tinker with the combustion trim if you have the damper all the way open. Does your burnpot seem almost empty all the time with a lot of air blowing through? You may raise your flame a bit by lowering your combustion trim to 3/5. Obviously, depending on the pellets this could change. It doesn't hurt to adjust these trim levels some to see what gives you the most active, full flame.

I have been burning Fireside Ultras almost exclusively for a while with good success. Seems that if I run the stove on high 5/5 for an extended period of time that I do get some buildup of pellets in the burnpot. Typically I run the stove on 5/5 for an hour to get my upstairs at the temp I want, then I turn it down to 2/5 or 3/5 to keep it there.

Seems that if I run the stove on high 5/5 for an extended period of time that I do get some buildup of pellets in the burnpot. Typically I run the stove on 5/5 for an hour to get my upstairs at the temp I want, then I turn it down to 2/5 or 3/5 to keep it there.​
Storm Panic are you talking about Heat level or combustion trim here? My experience is when I have so much air running through the system it may make my flame more active (even lower it)...but as far as heating things up I'm not so sure....I almost wonder if you have too much air running through the system if it doesn't cool things down a bit. Interesting observation also that the pellets are piling up in the burnpot at combustion trim 5/5. If I had my combustion trim that high I probably wouldn't even see the pellets at all...they'd be consumed as soon as dropping in the pot.

I'm sure there are many aspects to consider here, not the least of which would be the draft as a result of the design of your vent piping. FYI my draft was delivered and installed wide open and I don't believe it was set with a magnahelic. I don't have one but I always felt my flame looked pretty good...but what the heck do I know ==c

Just reading this thread, and I cannot run my m55 insert on high (5) for longer than an hour, or pellets will back up into the auger tube.

I don't have this problem on settings 4 on down, and am burning clean and hot. I don't really ever NEED 5, unless the house is very cold after a cleanout or something. But it happened just this weekend. I played with the air a little bit and got it to run as clean and hot as ever, but still a no go on 5.
Generally ran it on 3 during the cold spell, and one night we ran it on 4. House was nice and hot. NO furnace needed.

Just reading this thread, and I cannot run my m55 insert on high (5) for longer than an hour, or pellets will back up into the auger tube.

I don't have this problem on settings 4 on down, and am burning clean and hot. I don't really ever NEED 5, unless the house is very cold after a cleanout or something. But it happened just this weekend. I played with the air a little bit and got it to run as clean and hot as ever, but still a no go on 5.
Generally ran it on 3 during the cold spell, and one night we ran it on 4. House was nice and hot. NO furnace needed.

The M55 got an upgrade that consists of an adjustable auger cover and a convection blower. This is the reason the cover was issued. Seems they could actually produce 70K on heat range 5 with certain pellets.

Does your stove have the adjustable cover?

So my stove allows me to set the feed rate time from 1-5. Problem is I don't know which is the fastest and which is the slowest. I assume that 1 is the slowest but the manual doesn't really say. All is says is the following. Any idea? I don't have a mag gauge to set the damper so I have it wide open with the combustion air trim maxed (5/5) and the feed trim on 1/5. Stove has been running good this winter but just wondering if I need to tinker with things...

FEED RATE TRIM BUTTON:
Used to change the feed rate trims in ¼ second increments for all
feed settings. When this button is pressed, all the light will light up on
the Heat Output Indicator except for the one that shows the current
setting; the default setting is the number 4 light. To adjust the setting
hold the Feed Rate Trim button down and press the Heat Level up or
down buttons to adjust the setting.

I had my installer call Enviro today because I had put stopwatch on each of the trim settings of my Enviro mini and the results did not tally with how I was reading the instructions. As I had thought, the higher you go to setting 5 the longer the time pause before the auger is triggered to move. Go down and the time gap is shorter. Up for a longer pause and down for a shorter pause which, I think, are in half second increments.

The M55 got an upgrade that consists of an adjustable auger cover and a convection blower. This is the reason the cover was issued. Seems they could actually produce 70K on heat range 5 with certain pellets.

Does your stove have the adjustable cover?

J,
I don't have an adjustable auger cover plate and have never even come close to having pellets back up into the auger on heat level 5. I wonder if his agitator is engaged? I just can't see this happening w/out something major being wrong.

The agitator works fine, engaged alright.

The stove is new, but it could be new, old stock. I got in October. I have no idea if there is an adjustable auger cover or new connective blower on it. Without yanking it out, how do i check the cover?

I mean, even on feed trim 1, the 5 setting is a no go. All other settings work very good.

Ps i totally hijacked this thread....

The agitator works fine, engaged alright.

The stove is new, but it could be new, old stock. I got in October. I have no idea if there is an adjustable auger cover or new connective blower on it. Without yanking it out, how do i check the cover?

I mean, even on feed trim 1, the 5 setting is a no go. All other settings work very good.

Ps i totally hijacked this thread....

I'd be curious if heat level 4, feed trim 5 makes them backup too? The feed rate should be very close to heat level 5, feed trim 1.

Just to make sure we are talking the same thing. You mean pellets actually fill the pot so high that they build up back into the feed chute? Or are you saying the pellets overflow the burn pot into the ashpan?

I had my installer call Enviro today because I had put stopwatch on each of the trim settings of my Enviro mini and the results did not tally with how I was reading the instructions. As I had thought, the higher you go to setting 5 the longer the time pause before the auger is triggered to move. Go down and the time gap is shorter. Up for a longer pause and down for a shorter pause which, I think, are in half second increments.

Interesting. I'd been assuming it was the opposite.

I'd be curious if heat level 4, feed trim 5 makes them backup too? The feed rate should be very close to heat level 5, feed trim 1.

Just to make sure we are talking the same thing. You mean pellets actually fill the pot so high that they build up back into the feed chute? Or are you saying the pellets overflow the burn pot into the ashpan?

Pellets fill to nearly the top of the burn pot, and then the feed shoot can't feed anymore, or least every time that happened I caught it before it got bad. Them I shut it down, the agitator grinds the pellets to dust, and the whole thing is ready to go again.

So for last night I ran the stove with Feed Trim at 3 and Combustion Trim at 3 just to see what happened. Seemed to run fine. Flame was a little taller on the lower settings. Typically with feed on 1 and combustion on 5, if I had the stove on any of the lower settings (1, 2, 3) the flame was not taller than a few inches out of the burnpot. I guess I will keep experimenting.

So for last night I ran the stove with Feed Trim at 3 and Combustion Trim at 3 just to see what happened. Seemed to run fine. Flame was a little taller on the lower settings. Typically with feed on 1 and combustion on 5, if I had the stove on any of the lower settings (1, 2, 3) the flame was not taller than a few inches out of the burnpot. I guess I will keep experimenting.

you and both need a magnahelic.

I have a Regency Greenfire GF55 as well, and for a while I was playing around with the feed and combustion trim settings but gave up when I realized I really needed to use one of those gauages before playing around with it as I was having very erratic and odd results. I usually run the stove on heat setting 3, trim setting 1 or 2 unless it gets really cold in which case I put heat setting on 4 and trim setting on 3. I don't touch the combustion setting at all and my damper is set at about halfway.

I have the same set of controls on my VF100 FPI. I liked that it had the controllability when I bought it. I've been running it non stop for a month now. I maybe touched the trims 5 times just to see and the stove runs like a champ on all heat levels. I know we all like to tinker but this stove makes it too easy. Set it and forget it!
I have my feed rate on 3 and my blower on 2

Can someone recommend a magnahelic to buy online? I assume home Depot doesn't have them.

I got mine at the Grainger in Lawrence. They had a couple different options at the time.

If you think you might want to just borrow one, feel free to email me. I work in the Lawrence area. joetuffguy at gmail dot com.

Status
Not open for further replies.