Regency i1100s or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ricky82g

Jan 14, 2012
somd
Hi everybody, I'm new here and I have a chance to buy my neighbors regency insert for $500. Its about 7 years old and he hasn't used the last 2 winters, It looks in good shape but my question is how much would everybody pay for a insert like this seems kinda steep to me but I also know that this stove was probably well over $1000 when it was new. Any comments will be well appreciated thanks.

I just purchased my house 6 months ago and this is my first winter with a fireplace, I tried burning in the open fireplace, it was my first experience and I was totally amazed how little heat was put out that's when I knew I had to do something.

Pretty small stove. Mine is a 1.8 ft3 fire box and I think that is almost to small. How much area are you trying to heat.

I know it is a small stove, my house is 1100 sqft upstairs and my fireplace is located in our 3/4 finished basement. My basement is mostly underground except its a walkout in the back. I plan on cutting in a return right over top of the insert, my return duct runs right down the middle of the basement. And is located on the same side of the fireplace so I can cut in one big enough on the side and block off the others and run the fan on the furnace I think it will work pretty good. I know its a small but I was thinking that one for starters and get my chimney all done and then down the road I can get a better stove. Mainly this stove to get the ball rolling, its right next door me, its cheap. Though my main question is $500 too much? Thanks

Since the responses are slow to your question, I'll throw my 2 cents in. Whether the price is too much or not depends basically on the condition of the unit. Without personal inspection it is extremely difficult to say what the fair value is in my opinion. If there are no signs of being over-fired, all welds are in good shape, the door seals properly (or can with a new gasket), the finish is in good shape; then $500 would seem like a fair price to me. If it needs new firebrick, those are relatively cheap. Regardless of all that, what I have found over the last 60+ years is that someone will pay twice what anything is worth and someone will pay 1/2 what anything is worth; so asking me if I would pay $xxx doesn't really help you much. As with cars/trucks - it is a good deal if you are happy with the price and the seller is happy with the price; if either aren't happy, then it's not a good deal.
That's my philosophy, which isn't "exactly" what you asked for, but as I said earlier - without having eyes on the unit, it's difficult to say.

Hope you enjoy it if you buy it from your neighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.