Regency I1200 and Block-off plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Jan 16, 2008
New Mexico
I'm having a Regency I1200 installed in a ZC fireplace. I asked the dealer about installing a block-off plate and was told that they only seal the new liner at the top cap and not at the bottom. Regency indicates that it should be sealed at the bottom with a block-off plate or that the front of the fireplace should be sealed. Is what the dealer wants to do adequate or should I insist on a block-off plate??

Tnx, Corky

Insist on a blockoff plate

You want the block off plate period. As well as some high temp insulation above it ( kaowool etc ) Doesnt mater how good the front seal is if half the heat from the insert is going up the flue and heating the chimney and the great outdoors.

Going into a ZC fireplace most of the time a block off is a moot point. The inner is probably around 8" or a little less. The 6" liner + 1/2" insulation wrap fills up that whole 8" pretty well. Just jamming a little extra insulation around it where it comes through would be sufficient.

Also FYI the top plate should not be fully sealed. If the old ZC box has an air cooled chimney the outer air cooling chamber must be left open and able to breathe outside air. I have been told by someone who goes on investigations (fire scenes) this is the cause for many house fires around the country.

Thanks to all who replied! I went back to the dealer this morning and told them I wanted the block-off plate and some kaowool. They added $20 to the bill and it was a done deal. I will be home for the install to make sure it happens.

Thanks again, Corky

I have a regency i1200, instlled in a zc ,and you will like it! it is a little fniky..DO make sure your wood is WELL seasoned ! I did not install a lower block plate. simpy because the fireplace box it self will serve this purpose. if you are closed off with a surround. and jtp is correct, it fills it pretty good, and just a little insulation will serve you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.