Regency I2400 Installed...learning to burn :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joesat78

Jul 13, 2008
Central PA
I finally got the Regency I2400 wood insert installed at home. Below is the cost breakup.

Insert (with blower+face plate+plain black door trims etc) - $1980
Liner (rigid liner+top & bottom block off plate+chimney cap) - $848
Installation (installing liner & insert) - $550

TOTAL: $3378

Chimney:
While deciding on the liner for chimney - initially, I decided on the SS flex liner as my fireplace opening and damper is about 2 feet in front of the flue (a slight bend towards the front). While discussing with the installer, I asked for his opinion about rigid liner. He spoke about both flex and rigid ones, but did not give a favorable opinion of one over another. Then, I asked him would it be possible to install a rigid liner and to my surprise he said he can do that. Finally, I told him I want a rigid liner installed. After my decision, he was giving me all favorable opinions about rigid liners over flex liners. He said that if it is his house - he would put in a rigid liner. It gave me comfort that I made the right decision. The flue was 12 by 5.5 inches, so the installer has to ovalize the 6-inch liner a little bit. He suggested that I buy a "5-inch" brush to sweep the liner.

First-fire:
Lighted a newspaper inside the insert day-before-yesterday and I was surprised as no smoke came inside the house even though the insert door was wide open. So, now I know that I have a good draft. I put a couple of splits of hardwood, and fired 1/4 piece of supercedar fire-starter and left the insert door wide open. The supercedar burned like crazy for 10 minutes and i thought the fire has caught up on the hardwood splits. But, unfortunately, after the supercedar died, I was left with smoldering splits/ambers. The whole period I had the door wide open. I tried to burn the wood again thrice and had the same result. I noticed that one of the two hardwood split I used to start the fire was having moisture seeping out from between the bark and the wood as it was trying to burn. I sadly decided that the "supposedly seasoned" wood for which I paid $150/cord is not well seasoned after all.

Second-fire:
My friend and colleague wanted to help me with the 2nd fire yesterday. He brought in his "well-seasoned" hardwood and stacked 3 splits inside the insert. He stuffed lots of loosely crumpled news papers between the splits and lighted the news papers, closed the insert door immediately and opened the air inlet 100%. I was a little skeptic... but the fire really caught on in 10 minutes. Well, it did not burn ferociously, but it did burn moderately, sometimes it looked as if it is almost dead. After 1 1/2 hours, room temperature was up from 63 to 72. Overall, I was happy with it. I did throw my "supposedly seasoned" wood after 1 hour and it burnt well (but, as before saw some moisture in the edges - does it mean anything?).

Having no experience with wood burning before and never experienced the wood warmth before, one thing I noticed was - it tool quite a while to get the room warm enough. I may be wrong or I may not have burnt aggressively, but I'll learn this winter. If I come back from office at 4:30 PM and fire the stove at 4:40PM, the house may get warm by 5:10-5:15PM...

This is my experience so far... Any tips and suggestions are welcome...

Thanks again for the wonderful guidance from the members in this forum... I will post some pictures later today.

Joe

well...I'm new to my regency i2400 too. Everything i've read - unseasoned wood - not a good things...inefficient burns...crap in the chimney which can lead to fires. Anyway based on my little experience - try to get seasoned wood...and the other thing i really need to keep telling myself is that wood burning - especially if you're gonna try to do this full time in the winter is part art / part science. There is a learning curve that has a lot to it. You need to understand your stove...your wood....your home. Changes in temperature outside have an effect. In time you'll find that sweet spot where the you'll know what makes your stove and you happy. It's a process and patience will help you get there. Just remember to be safe!

ALso - i didnt have my door wide open to start fires. I did have it cracked a bit (not closed tight) and you do notice quite a difference with the air coming in...i dont think wide open is necessary...

there you go - ramblings of a newbie.

take care

Welcome, you will find that many problems with wood burning will be do to unseasoned wood !! it's good you got the blower it is a MUST with the inserts. make sure you do get the stove up to running temp before you kick the blower on , you will find that it takes alot of heat from the insert. and JAmuso really hit the key...there are many aspects to your burning, weather, wind, humidity, wood, location of stove within home etc... enjoy your stove you will learn everytime you fire it up this year but do get the best seasoned wood you can find Any sissling, hissing or visual wetness on the wood while burning tells you you don't have dried wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.