Regency I2400 Loud Bang! Like a shot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobNorman

Oct 8, 2008
NE Canada
Hi,
Have had this stove since late September, I noticed over the winter (maybe 7 or 8 times) a few bangs during operation. This happens after the stove has been operation for a few hours. it has been a sort of metallic bong, or ping, like the metal is expanding or popping, not too loud but a little startling. I’m using dry wood, and have not left the door open.

About two weeks ago I was loading it, after it had been going for a few hours and…BANG!!! A different sound, like a shot. Scared the *#$% out of me.
Then last night, I was sitting in my living room, chatting on the phone, fire going for about an hour, starting to die down a little, draft at 3/4, fan going...and BANG! Like a gunshot! Loudest one yet. Dog bolted out of the room! I jumped! Person I was on the phone with screamed!....it was LOUD. It was louder than a backfire, not metallic, just a big bang. This was followed about 20 minutes later by the bong metallic noise...and again 15 mins after that…

I’ve called the place I bought it from, they have never heard of this, but are “checking on it” and will get back to me.
Anyone ever hear of this? Any thoughts? I’d love to have some similar stories, or ideas of what it could be for when they get back to me. As it is now, I don’t want to use the stove again ‘til this is resolved.

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 940
Not usual for sure. Were it mine I would pull the shroud and see if something is falling out of the chimney and landing on top of the insert. Second I would pull the bricks and baffle and inspect the welds with a flashlight from inside the stove.

ditto, brother bart. I'd want a look at the welds after ruling out falling objects. I've broken welds on larger steel sculptures and it's loud.

After cooling off cracks could be difficult to see. Wire brush weld seems and use bright light with slow methodical visual inspection. Mist weld seems with sprayer and slowly dry with heat gun , propane torch, and watch water being pulled from steel,,it will leave the crack last leaving a darker color on either side of crack. If a dry inspection reveals nothing, try the water,,but dont heat it anymore than whats necessary to dry the area you are currently looking at. If still nothing wait till everything cools off completely, and inspect again,,,for water could till seep from the crack once cooled, the discoloration will be subtle.

Thanks guys, I'll get the company that I bought it from to have a look. If it was welds breaking, What could have caused it? Should this be under warrenty? I only bought the stove in September.

Forms of stress, mechanical and thermal are introduced during the welding process. There most likely are developed welding sequences, followed by different manufacturers with assembly, but these wouldnt account for things like running out of gas or wire at inconvenient times, or the new employees skill level.Some manufacturers may have stress relief operations which counter these inherient problems. Years ago after casting bells they use to drag them through the streets tied to a horse for stress relief. Horse must have been tired when the made the liberty bell.

Awesome feedback folks. Love it when I learn things here.

So, I was just talking to the dealer, they called the wholesaler, who indicated they had never heard of a problem like this before, but they in turn called Regency. Regency had apparently told them, that they get one or two of these a year. Last year they had none, the year before they had one but in the larger model. Anyway, the dealer told me that they would set up an appointment to send the installer over to have a look, and if they could not identify the problem easily, the word from Regency was to replace it with another unit.

So, kudos to Regency for standing behind their product! I'll let you all know what happens.

Good on them, the dealer and the wholesaler for all getting right on the problem.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the response so far, and, to be honest surprised. Just after it was installed, I tried to get someone to talk to me about the whine/humming noise in this unit when at half draft.. but had no luck. oh well, I guess a new unit would fix both problems!

Thanks again everyone for all your input.

So the latest...

The Dealer told me they would have someone look at it. They can't reach the guy that did the original install, so they are getting their other installer to look at it. He called me this week to tell me he'd be around next week. he's going to have a quick look at it, but figures its a weld inside the baffles that broke, so he's probably not going to see much. anyway he said that regency should replace the unit no problem, and I would just have to pay the installation fee. Does this seem right to you? I mean, I already paid the installation fee once... it's not my fault they installed a faulty product.

Should regency pay for the install as well? Should the dealer? What are your thoughts?

Oohhh....thats a tough one. Many of the installers are independent from the Store. If its not the original installer, the next guy in line probably ain't gonna do it out of kindness. This would either fall back on the store or the MFG. If it were me, I would start at the store level. The installer guy is just the end of the line monkey.

Ml - thanks for the great inspection technique...thats a new one on me...I have awarded you a 1000 points to the hearth.com store (see Craig for redemption. :cheese: )

Anytime that I have a warranty claim, the mfg pays labor to our store, I don't see how you need to pay another installation fee, the problem doesn't have a single thing to do with you. Regency will almost definitely pay any incurred labor for the changeout, or at least a flat rate, and if the installer is fast enough, it should be sufficient for the job.

I agree that once they determine that the stove needs to be replaced you should discuss it with the store. They have been good to you so far on this problem, so they will likely get reimbursed from Regency for the entire job.

Originally the dealer had ,,"never heard of this",, now they feel it may be,,,"inside the baffles",, (hopefully this new awareness is from his ,,"checking on it",,! It sounds as though inside the baffles may not be accesible for inspection?? I dont know the stove. I have to agree with JAGS thoughts on this. Whether the original installer could be reached or nor, I feel the new guy will be looking for signs of overfiring and improper installation, if none found, the swap should be fairly routine and possibly at that point , the dealer may be willing to work with you. I feel one or the other should carry the cost for you

JAGS,,its like anything else,,,easier once you have experienced it or been shown,, the cleaner the metal the better..It feels good to offer help, I feel thats why many hang out here,,I`ve been on the recieving end since I joined. Magna-Flux by SKD makes a two part spray on that will easily find cracks you would never see ,,even sub-surface...The rubbing of the crack against itself due to a vibration,Say an engine) will cause the crack to magnatize, and any grinding in the area would cause the grinding dust to stick to and follow the crack,,easily visible

When I run into stuff like this I looked to whoever I gave the money to to do the work. If it was the dealer, I don't care who he subbed out the installation to.

Great... very early in the season I also heard 1 bang in my new Montpelier. I attributed it to the outside steel shell of the stove getting heated up for the first time. Nothing since. No other issues with the stove. Do you think this requires dealer inspection as well?

Gabe

BobNorman said:
So the latest...

The Dealer told me they would have someone look at it. They can't reach the guy that did the original install, so they are getting their other installer to look at it. He called me this week to tell me he'd be around next week. he's going to have a quick look at it, but figures its a weld inside the baffles that broke, so he's probably not going to see much. anyway he said that regency should replace the unit no problem, and I would just have to pay the installation fee. Does this seem right to you? I mean, I already paid the installation fee once... it's not my fault they installed a faulty product.

Should regency pay for the install as well? Should the dealer? What are your thoughts?

From my experience Regency will honor the warranty to the letter. No-one is better at standing behind theproduct they manufacture. Have the dealer submit your claim on your behalf and I have little doubt you will receive everything you have coming to you. Sometimes dealers add extra due to the distance they have to drive etc but this is unusual. I am confident Regency will give the dealer the same for yur job as they do for everyone elses. This seems to be the way they work. They are tops in this for sure.

Thanks everyone. Once again, lots of great information and experience here. A truly great resource.

I'll post more after the inspection.
Bob

On a completely unrelated note, from your picture of the Insert, is your house insurance for a wood burning appliance ok with your lack of hearthstone? Just saying because I had to replace my hearthstone with a larger one, (albeit 2" deeper) simply because my house insurance policy changed for no reason.

Fod01 said:
Great... very early in the season I also heard 1 bang in my new Montpelier. I attributed it to the outside steel shell of the stove getting heated up for the first time. Nothing since. No other issues with the stove. Do you think this requires dealer inspection as well?

Gabe

One time thing?? No inspection needed,,I hope!

An Update:

Another installer inspected the stove, found no obvious problems with installation and reported to the dealer that it should be replaced, the dealer concurred, and agreed to cover the installation costs as well, and went to the wholesaler to get a new unit… that was in July. I must say they all have been great to deal with so far… but... I'm still waiting for the new unit to be installed, I've called a few times, have been assured that its coming, but the installer is very busy this time of year (which I can see). The one year anniversary of my purchase of this stove is fast approaching, so I'm a little anxious to get it done before they say it out of warrantee or something… maybe I'm just being paranoid. But, I would like to start using it again soon...been getting a bit cold here in the evenings.

Bob, I see you are from eastern Canada. Where did you buy this stove? It is very unusual that it should take this long. My dealings with this manufacturer have been far swifter than this. Maybe they can help you speed things up through the dealer and have the replacement done before it gets too cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.