Regency i3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shouldnt i be able to start a fire with kindling with the door WIDE open with no smoke coming into the house? now this installer is saying he may have to "insulate" the chimney....

With the blower off, yeah. My installer had me try putting a candle in for about 15 minutes just to get some warm air going, then try to start a kindling fire. It worked pretty good. Tho, since we've been using the starter things, we never bother with kindling any more - they work really well.

shouldnt i be able to start a fire with kindling with the door WIDE open with no smoke coming into the house? now this installer is saying he may have to "insulate" the chimney....

I've got a cape code with an external, lined, uninsulated chimney. When the system is cold (no fire for a day), and outside temps are mild, it has a lazy draft. When starting a fire, I'll only ever leave the door fully open to light and load. Cracked after that for maybe 5 min or not depending on what I stuck in there. This season I'm trying only smaller splits and a firestarter. No kindling. It seems to work ok, but we'll see how the first cleaning goes.

I remember a thread a couple years back where the installer had kinked the liner. Are you able to shine a light up/ down there to take a look?

Happy Thanksgiving
Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.