Regency insert cracked!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedLab

Sep 7, 2010
Ontario Canada
The last two burning seasons my Regency insert has been making a loud shotgun like bang when it starts to cool down. Found two cracks in each corner. I imagine it's from the metal expanding and retracting when it heats then cools. Can I have it welded or should I be looking for a new unit?
2015-07-20 08.39.51_zpsupphwkwo.jpg

I have a regency that makes a bang when warming up. What model is that insert? And where exactly is that crack. I'd like to check the same spot on mine.

Did you call the dealer on this?

This is a warranty issue. Start with your dealer.

RedLab bought the insert used back in 2007 or so. Warranty gone long ago.

Ah used. Regency has a lifetime warranty on the firebox, but the warranty is not transferable.

In that case weld it as long as this is the only issue and the rest of the stove is in good working condition.

Last edited:
It is cracked in both corners above the door just below the top plate. Seems to be an issue with these older Regency's. I'm gonna try welding it.

Just checked mine, all clear. Were you able to tell what which model you have?

I hate to say it, but ..... it's not just with "old" ones. My I3100 has been used 5 seasons and has 2 cracks; one at each lower corner of the opening. I am patiently awaiting a response from Regency through the selling dealer who I might add is as helpful as a tick on a dogs #%@. I spoke with the dealer today after waiting one month for a reply and he was short and to the point, "No I have not heard back from them, goodbye."

The cracks are currently minor, but in my lifetime I have noticed minor problems tend to grow if not properly dealt with early-on.

Popping sounds are typical with my unit also and I attribute that to expansion/contraction of steel.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
I want to give credit where credit is due. After my last post I contacted Regency Fireplace Products concerning lack of response to my issue described above. Regency advised they had never received a claim from my dealer and suggested he resubmit a claim for the cracked firebox. After talking to the dealer again, he apparently did submit a claim and after providing Regency about 20 pictures (including woodpiles both inside and outside piles) they have come to the conclusion that my I3100 warrants a free replacement. My only expense will be for shipping since the current unit is over 5 yrs old.

For anyone with a legitimate issue, let me advise not giving up. Regency Fireplace Products has honored the warranty they claim to issue.

R. Kaiser

Status
Not open for further replies.