Regency Insert vs. Hearthstone Homestead/Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(My original post, with pictures and details, is here.)

The one and only local dealer came by to look at our fireplace. He only really sells Regency and Hearthstone, though he used to sell Jotul and is trying to sell off everything (but I didn't see any good deals).

He suggested either a Regency insert or a Hearthstone Homestead. The insert would be a relatively straightforward installation, and cheapest; we'd simply have to extend our hearth a bit by laying cement board and tile, and plunk down our money for them to do the rest. And the insert doesn't take up any extra living space. Problem? I pretty much hate the look of the insert, I'm worried about the noise of the fan, and I'm concerned it won't heat well during power outages (without the noisy fan).

As for the Hearthstone, I love it. It's beautiful, and I like the idea of burning less often. Problems here: we'd have to extend our raised hearth, which will be either time or money. Also, the stove would be rear exit instead of top (to go out the fireplace), which our dealer says can cause problems with getting the fire started. (Are there other concerns with rear flue vs. top flue?) The Hearthstone costs more, too.

If we order before the end of July, we can get about $500 off due to rebates and sales. No pressure, huh?

BTW, does the Pacific Energy Summit or D1 really heat well without the fan, as I've read? The closest dealer who sells PE is an hour away. I could buy an insert from them and find someone local to install. I'd have my husband do it, but we're working on a gazillion things at our "new" house, and this was the one thing we had saved money to have someone else do.

Thanks for any advice.

What is the fireplace opening size? Both Regency and Hearthstone are good stoves, so at least you're off to a good start. The dealer's concern of poor draft may be due to the exterior chimney. But that can be helped a bit by insulating the liner. You'll also want a proper block off plate installed.

So, if we insulate the liner and use a block off plate, the Homestead or Heritage would probably work fine? Is top flue really that much better?

Fireplace opening size - I'll have to post that later. I don't have it handy right now.

Any thoughts on the Summit?

Status
Not open for further replies.