Regency R16 flue baffle help (Newbie)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJay

Oct 2, 2013
Hello all, thanks in advance for any help.

I became the owner of a Regency R16 (~1990) when I purchased my home. It was put in years ago by the original owners but was left in bad shape and became something I had to deal with. I didn't even know what it was, lol. A local chimney/stove guy got it all fixed up (inspected, painted, up to code and so on) and last winter was my first time using it. Blazed through a cord in a short amount of time and I knew something was wrong.

Expressed my concerns to the chimney guy and after taking a look, he notices there is no flue baffle. Seems like an important detail to miss out on and I don't even know what a flue baffle is! Looks like I need to find a new chimney/stove guy.

So I find the manual and look up what I can on the R16. Emailed Regency and got part #'s for the flue baffle system. Local dealers are quoting around $290 for the baffle, insulation and hold down weights. OUCH! I came across some threads where folks were getting steel cut to use as a baffle, purchasing insulation from ebay and using a few scrape pieces of steel as hold downs. I would love to save some $$$. I got a quote from a local steel company and a piece of A36 (not sure if this is the correct type to use) steel was only $35. Regency is asking $190 for their steel baffle!

From what I can find online, measurements for my Regency's R16 baffle are around 21 x 12 x 3/8. Are there any owners that can confirm this? Or perhaps advice on what size steel to cut? Should there be gaps on each side of the baffle or should the steel be all the way to the fire bricks?

What type of insulation should I purchase from ebay? Thickness? And should it be cut to the exact measurements of the baffle or maybe a couple inches smaller on all sides?

I noticed one of the air tubes (the one closest to the door) has the holes facing downward. Is this correct or should both air tubes have the holes facing forward?

Thanks for any help or responses.

I can't help you with the size, but all of the later Regency wood burning units have baffles that are only open to the front. The sides & back are sealed. Also, the holes in the secondary air tubes all point towards the front. The newer tubes are keyed with a slot that aligns with a tab in the right side wall, so you can't position them incorrectly. Don't know about the older units. You don't say where you are located, but if you PM me I can give the name of a guy who has been in the industry since the mid 80s & may have the answers you need as the company he works for carries the Regency lines...He's located in the Capitol District (Albany, NY) area...

Hey, I am just now starting to use mine as well. I read that you found the owners manuel for yours. I was wondering if you could send me a part number for the replacement glass. The manuel that I found online doesn't have any part numbers or anything on it. Thanks. Also anyone have any tips for using it.. this is the first year I've had one. I found a bunch of insulation behind the unit. Is that supposed to be there or not?

Thanks Ben! That is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.