regency stoves ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesin

Dec 29, 2011
Pa
Hi, dont see many recent posts about regency stoves. Anyone have one? Are they a good stove/ company or thumbs down?
Thanks,

mikesin said:
Hi, dont see many recent posts about regency stoves. Anyone have one? Are they a good stove/ company or thumbs down?
Thanks,

Good stoves & inserts. 5/16 steel plate/welded construction.
Stoves have a pedestal or leg cast option & ash pans are
available for either version. 2-speed blowers are available.
Built in side & rear heat shields. Cast doors. Split fire brick
lined. Clean burn technology - no cats. Simple air control.
Anything else?

I have one and it's worked well for the most part. I had a Vermont Castings in my previous residence and it seemed to me that I had better control with the Vermont than the regency. The glass needs to be cleaned much more frequently in the Regency and I also get cold air downdrafting more than I'd like in it as well. I have to consider that they've been installed in different hearths, but I may have made my purchase choice differently now that I know.

The regency I have was already installed in the house when I bought it and all i did was install an insulated ss liner. I think it's a great insert but seeing that it's the only one that I've ever used I can't compare it to anything.

Anyone have one? Are they a good stove/ company or thumbs down?
Yes, yes, up.

I put in a F1100 in the living room a few years ago, have not bought oil since, furnace has not run this year ( except for testing).
Really nice little stove, puts out lots of heat for it's size.

quality construction, easy to operate(one lever) throws a ton of heat. make sure you get the stove sizing correct, my firebox is too small for overnight burns however a larger firebox (with clean burn)would blow us out of the room.

Thank you for the replies, our local wood stove (family owned) shop sells alot of different brands. When asked
They prefer regency, they state quality construction and excellent customer service IF a problem arises. He said that other manufactures do stand behind their products but regency goes above and beyond.
how does he know? Were there lots of problems ? He says no, but like anything sometimes things go wrong and they stood out as a good company.
I liked the 1100 free standing model. The owner suggested maybe going to one size larger. He said if nothing else it would give us a larger fire box for longer burns. Our total house sq ft is roughly 1750.
Anyway i thought it would be a good idea to get some current comments,

Thanks.

the regency is a non cat stove, higher firebox temps are needed for good secondary action(clean burn). what is the size of your stove room, how high are your ceilings, do you have an open floor plan, is your house drafty. all these factor will come into play when sizing a stove.

Howdy all,
We've got a Hampton HI300, which is basically the cast version of the steel Regency. It's an insert with a 2.2 cu ft firebox, dual speed blower and simple air control. Burns clean, 6-7 hour burns are not a challenge to acheive, and the thing maintains 75 degrees in the stove room, and about 70 everywhere else in the house. If you leave the air open and get the heat cranking, it will burn through some wood quickly, but if you start shutting her down incrementally, longer burns are very possible. Others have talked about 9-12 hour burns, but with my mix of factors, those burn times have been a myth. Not saying impossible, but not happening for me at this juncture.

The owner suggested maybe going to one size larger

I would agree. My house is fairly small, about 1200sf. My F1100 will do a good job heating one side of the house. With a good load I can get an 8 hr burn. With a larger house the larger model might work better for you.

Have an F2100M and love it. It's a solid unit and burns hot and clean. Only complaint (which is likely attributable to stupid user syndrome) is that it's easy to overfire. That said, I'd certainly buy one again.

I have a Hampton insert - really just a fancy Regency

It has been a great stove but what do I know - it is my first and only wood stove

I have a 3100 insert and love it. Easy as cake to operate. I get it going in the morning when I wake up @ 5 and by 5:45 have the primary closed almost the entire way with it throwing serious heat. Get home around 6 pm and never have to do more than rake coals and load it to get it cruising again. My only issue is that the door gasket has frayed where the two ends meet letting air in, and getting replacement gaskets is a pain in the butt. My dealer has to order the kit drop shipped to me and it is $60. I'll probably wait until spring to replace.

mikesin said:
Thank you for the replies, our local wood stove (family owned) shop sells alot of different brands. When asked
They prefer regency, they state quality construction and excellent customer service IF a problem arises. He said that other manufactures do stand behind their products but regency goes above and beyond.
how does he know? Were there lots of problems ? He says no, but like anything sometimes things go wrong and they stood out as a good company.
I liked the 1100 free standing model. The owner suggested maybe going to one size larger. He said if nothing else it would give us a larger fire box for longer burns. Our total house sq ft is roughly 1750.Anyway i thought it would be a good idea to get some current comments,

Thanks.
I agree, the 1100 is a little undersized if you are hoping to heat your whole house. You can always make smaller fires in the bigger sized stove.
We have a Regency F2400 in our two story 1500+ sq ft house. It heats the whole house with no problems. We burn hot fires with dry wood and have 24+ ft chimney so the draft is good and the glass stays clean.
It's a tough functional stove that can take a lot of abuse and throws out a lot of heat yet burns very efficiently.

My brother burns an F2400. I've not had a chance to see it in action, as I never go that far north in the Winter. :lol:
He's had it for years and is very happy with the stove. Hasn't had any problems.

onion said:
I have a 3100 insert and love it. Easy as cake to operate. I get it going in the morning when I wake up @ 5 and by 5:45 have the primary closed almost the entire way with it throwing serious heat. Get home around 6 pm and never have to do more than rake coals and load it to get it cruising again. My only issue is that the door gasket has frayed where the two ends meet letting air in, and getting replacement gaskets is a pain in the butt. My dealer has to order the kit drop shipped to me and it is $60. I'll probably wait until spring to replace.

If you can get a small section of 7/8 Diameter gasket
from a hearthshop you can simply cut out the frayed
part & replace that for probably $5...

My two 1100's, (1989, 2011), will both deposit creosote on the glass if the air control is not fully opened. A butterfly damper in the in the smoke pipe out the back can control the burn and allow the air control to be open all the time (usually, but there are some times when you want to diminish the burn intensity more than a damper can manage)

They are easy drafting, strong stoves. The EPA model, 2011 needs the blower because of the side heat shields, better for convective heating. The older stove, with only a back heat shield in a cabin, throws a ton of radiant heat.

Hopefully useful,

I'm happy with mine. I have I3100 insert it will burn 10 hours no problem. I work 12 hour shifts so about 13 hours later I rake the coals forward and put a couple of splits and it takes off. I'm heating about 1300 sq feet in central Maine. Yea I would like the burn times of a Blaze King.

I have a Hampton, Regency's cast iron line. My signature has several links to my install, and review, and my stove in featured on the Regency website. See the links in my signature. Oh, in case you don't......I couldn't be happier. Quality stuff! I bought the brand over others just as good because there is a local dealer. Very important to me.

We love our I1200S insert. Agree with the opinion that you need to give it plenty of air to keep the glass clean, but that's better for all our lungs anyway [grin].

-dan

I have an I3100, heating approx. 2000sq ft. As others have said, it puts a lot of heat out if installed properly. Since it is not a cat stove semi-good wood can suffice, but with good dry wood - it's a hoss ! IMO Regency is an great company also.

Status
Not open for further replies.