Registers & Heat Loss...what to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
For those with ductwork (especially in the ceiling), do you guys close your registers while burning to prevent heat loss? Not sure what to do about this situation.

Can you remove the register and place some sort of insulation behind it, then replace the register? Anything would help, even if it just stops air flow. We put small rugs over the registers in the floor.

I have always used magnetic covers over all of our registers, along with the plastic film window sealing kits (I have new windows also/still helps tremendously), and installingthe insulation covers that go behind your wall outlets and light switch outlets (external/insulated walls only). You would be surprised the amount of air that can come through an electrical outlet. I did this the 1st year I had the pellet stove (before I installed an OAK). The one outlet got frosty (dangerous). So the OAK and the outlet insulators went on.

Anything you can do to stop heatloss will help. Over the years I have done more and more. Lots of caulk/silicone, Great stuff foam, insulating, and finding and sealing any leaky/drafty points in the home. (An IR thermometer works very well for doing this)

Every little bit helps.

DexterDay said:
I have always used magnetic covers over all of our registers, along with the plastic film window sealing kits (I have new windows also/still helps tremendously), and installingthe insulation covers that go behind your wall outlets and light switch outlets (external/insulated walls only). You would be surprised the amount of air that can come through an electrical outlet. I did this the 1st year I had the pellet stove (before I installed an OAK). The one outlet got frosty (dangerous). So the OAK and the outlet insulators went on.

Anything you can do to stop heatloss will help. Over the years I have done more and more. Lots of caulk/silicone, Great stuff foam, insulating, and finding and sealing any leaky/drafty points in the home. (An IR thermometer works very well for doing this)

Every little bit helps.

I usually just silicone or caulk behind outlets... didn't know they had a special thing for it.
Also make sure you do your light fixtures on ceilings and such!

Status
Not open for further replies.