Regretting early buy, how long do pellets store well for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suchanewbie

Sep 14, 2014
NH
So I stocked up on my pellets in Spring this year to avoid last year's drama ("shortage" in the fall).
And now I'm watching the oil prices free falling like crazy.
It's getting to a point where burning oil would cost me just about the same or only marginally more maybe.

So I'm just wondering if I just let the pellets sit in the (detached) garage unused this year, or however long it takes
The pellets are in their factory wrapping sitting on pallets - so no water can get to them, and the garage is fairly dry except for the snow melt from the snow blower and the car parked in there.
I see that the factory wrapping is not exactly air tight -- rips/tears in the wrapping, and the individual bags also have vents in the (for safety reasons I guess).

I'm just a bit worried about the humidity though, and whether the pellets will absorb them over time and if it will affect the burning quality (more ash? less heat?). It does tend to get pretty sticky in the summers in New England.

Based on reading around here, general opinion seems that they store well and long term storage doesn't seem to affect quality.

Has anyone had experience store pellets long term? Like a few years?

Thanks.

I have a ton and a half left in the humid basement from a purchase like three or four years ago and they burn just fine. I just use the pellet stove down there when I am working in the basement.

Reactions: bags
So I stocked up on my pellets in Spring this year to avoid last year's drama ("shortage" in the fall).
And now I'm watching the oil prices free falling like crazy.
It's getting to a point where burning oil would cost me just about the same or only marginally more maybe.

So I'm just wondering if I just let the pellets sit in the (detached) garage unused this year, or however long it takes
The pellets are in their factory wrapping sitting on pallets - so no water can get to them, and the garage is fairly dry except for the snow melt from the snow blower and the car parked in there.
I see that the factory wrapping is not exactly air tight -- rips/tears in the wrapping, and the individual bags also have vents in the (for safety reasons I guess).

I'm just a bit worried about the humidity though, and whether the pellets will absorb them over time and if it will affect the burning quality (more ash? less heat?). It does tend to get pretty sticky in the summers in New England.

Based on reading around here, general opinion seems that they store well and long term storage doesn't seem to affect quality.

Has anyone had experience store pellets long term? Like a few years?

Thanks.
I keep mine in my garage still in factory wrapping and no issues had them from early summer last year

Have burned pellets from being stored in my garage for more than 5+ year's that burn fine, unless there left outside uncovered your ok

I had some pellets from when I moved almost ten years old in a bucket and they worked without issue when I put them in the stove last year. If they still have their original form and are dry they should last a long time.

Reactions: bags
I think you will be more than fine so don't sweat it. Like wood stored inside it will almost last indefinitely. Humidity affects dimensional lumber more so than I bag of pellets IMO.

I just found out recently that those tiny air holes in all pellet bags make it functional to be able to stack the bags of which without the holes,
the bags would be like trying to stack balloons..;em

Semi-inflated balloons anyway.;) There may also be a study that lets them breathe too. Moisture out is good although kiln dried, but IMO there are other reasons besides the easy stack scenario. You are correct but think about other obvious reasons.

On the flip side those perforations also let H2O in. That is why you and the factory cover them.

Any takers here? Simple chemistry. I am not one of them but the broom flying witch is. Sealed bags would also swell up...... Hint.

Doesn't the binder (glue) that holds the pellet together make the pellet somewhat resistant to moisture?

There is no binder. Some brands will have additives though, but they don't add it for moisture control. Some will claim to be 100% wood even though they add a die lubricant.
The natural lignin in wood is what holds it together - combined with heat and a LOT of pressure.
They won't absorb ambient moisture, but they will rapidly absorb contact moisture. That property is what makes them a great animal bedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.