rehydrating lumber scraps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty

Feeling the Heat
Jul 11, 2006
Pittsburgh
Large tub/tank, wood, and a some weight...

Anybody ever hear of or try to up the moisture content of lumber scraps to safe burning levels?

I agree... does sound like a lot of work..... if you have to do it, maybe putting it in a damper, cooler area, maybe with some buckets of water next to them, the wood should absorb some of the moisture. I don't think soaking them would be a good idea. Where is the wood stored now? I'm just kind of taking stabs at this, but if outside, maybe a quick soaking with the hose every couple of days, and maybe keep it covered.... you don't want it to get too wet, though.

I don't really have any... not more than I couldn't just use it as kindling anyway... just curious.

I wonder if it would reverse cure over a season, kept wet and uncovered in the shade while your other wood dried under a tarp in the sun... seems a shame not to burn good wood just cause it's too dry... in theory anyway.

Any way to measure the water content of wood?

Marty said:
I don't really have any... not more than I couldn't just use it as kindling anyway... just curious.

I wonder if it would reverse cure over a season, kept wet and uncovered in the shade while your other wood dried under a tarp in the sun... seems a shame not to burn good wood just cause it's too dry... in theory anyway.

Any way to measure the water content of wood?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2757

I am going to start hitting Harbor and Englander up for commissions.

BB you use that one for splits?

martel said:
BB you use that one for splits?

Yep. Cordless drill, small drill bit. Poke a couple of holes and it gives you the good or the bad news.

The tines can't sink far enough into hardwood without the help. Of course the two hundred dollar ones can't either. They make some megabucks ones that you can hammer into the wood but I already have the drill.

BrotherBart said:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2757

I am going to start hitting Harbor and Englander up for commissions.
Nice.
I Googled it right after I posted the question and saw some in the 100-$300 range and one sold on ebay for $28 but that price seems more realistic for my purposes.
If only MSG's 'customer of the year' award nominee had known about this process through some sort of pamphlet. :D
Do you find that samples of a pile of like wood measure out to have about the same water content?

Yep. Stuff cut at the same time and on the same row of the stack track right at about the same content. Denser crotches higher content and slower drying than the straight grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.