Reinstalling harmanF200 damper assembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

T-bone

Jan 2, 2020
Maryland
So my new parts arrived yesterday.
I replaced the gasket material on the damper hood unit, but for the life of me I cant get the unit back in place.
I spent 4 hours today working on it.
I did get it in place with one bolt but then realized that the damper arm was not engaged so I had to start over.

What is the trick to getting this thing bolted back in place ?

Also, will the new afterburner slide in behind the damper ? I don't see how I could possibly get the damper in place if the afterburner was installed first.

Thanks for your help; I am at the end of my rope !!!

I am wondering if I need to pull the unit out and lay it on its back. Then I could bolt the damper in place and not have to fight gravity to hold it in place.
Has anyone had to reinstall one of these dampers?

You got a picture? If it's similar to the Harman TL200 stove, I've found a couple pieces of 2×4, cut to hold the damper weldment to heighth, will help. One hand on the weldment, one to put the bolts in place. But yes, you have to slide the left hand side in first, to engage the handle. Do that, put the wood helper to the right, and then one to the left.

It is the same as the TL 200...the only difference is no legs.
I think that I ran into problems because I was trying to put the damper back in first.
I think that if I put in the afterburner, side wings and afterburner hood first that they will create a lip for the damper hood to rest on as I bolt it in place.
My chimney sweep also suggested a bottle jack to help support it.